Chapter 32: The Dark Side of Love

August 23

Ana

A strange noise sounds in the kitchen. We both turn and stare at the satellite phone sitting on the kitchen counter. It's ringing. I've never heard the ringtone before. No one's ever called it. Ryan doesn't move, so I stand and pick it up. The number isn't one I recognize, though something seems vaguely familiar about it.

I turn to look at Ryan, who hasn't moved an inch.

"It's for you," I say, holding it out to him.

He hesitates before coming over to me, taking the phone, and answering it.

I can't hear distinct words in the feminine voice on the other end, but clearly it's something or someone significant. Ryan's eyes flash with a burst of anger I've never seen in him before. The knuckles of his hand gripping the phone begin to turn white.

"Why are you calling me?" he says in a low, tight voice. He turns away from me, his shoulders hunching a little bit. A defensive posture. I frown.

"What the hell are you saying?" Ryan asks, his voice quieter as though he's trying to keep me from hearing. "You're the one who broke up with me, remember?"

Suddenly I realize why the number on the caller ID looked familiar. The one other phone number in the sat phone's call history. I snap my gaze back to Ryan. Is that his ex-fiancee on the other end?

Ryan moves to the table and sits heavily in a chair. I can see his face now. His demeanor still carries traces of anger, but something in his expression just looks unmistakably heartbroken. Instantly I feel my own anger flare. His gaze flies up to me for a moment before he looks down at the floor again.

"Leave her out of this," he says.

I hear a laugh on the other end of the call. Ryan's expression becomes pained and I decide I've had enough of this. I walk up to Ryan and snatch the phone away from him. He looks up at me with wide eyes, clearly surprised. I turn and walk quickly across the room before Ryan can snatch it back. I put the phone to my ear.

"What the hell is your problem?" I ask, channeling my righteous indignation into my voice.

"Who is this?" barks a woman's voice.

I decide to go on the offensive. "Someone who doesn't have the patience to put up with your mood swings. Are you really calling your ex after five years? Seriously? Don't you have anything better to do? What is wrong with you?"

The voice that responds is cold and self-important. "Stop fooling around with Ryan. He's mine."

My mouth drops open. The nerve of this woman!

"No, no he is not yours. You lost the right to say that a long, long time ago."

"What, and you think he's yours now? You think that just because you're-"

I turn back to the kitchen to see Ryan standing next to the table, watching me with an expression that betrays nothing. He looks away when my eyes meet his. She's right, I realize. Ryan is still hers to manipulate. If I don't do something to convince her otherwise, there's no telling what she'll do to Ryan. My heart gives a lurch. He's already so broken because of her. If I don't stop this woman, how much more will she hurt him?

I have to do something. Maybe I can manage to convince her that Ryan's not her pawn anymore because he's moved on. So just convince Ryan's ex that he's dating me now. While Ryan is listening. This could get awkward.

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I do," I say, cutting off whatever she'd been saying. Ryan glances up at me through his long hair.

"What?"