Chapter 22- Karma isn't a Bitch, I am

There were times in my life where I hated the fact that I was good at math. I could always put two and two together- but right now, I was annoyed that I knew there were other numbers out there that needed to be apart of the equation.

"So you think this woman is your mother?"

One shoulder shrugged in response. "It says here that she was a top scholar at another college- and also happened to be super rich so she helped Carlisle fund this place." I looked up at him, narrowing my eyes. "And Caroline said that I came from a drug dealer's den, so I don't think this woman was my mother."

He nodded slowly, agreeing with my thoughts. "Did she have any siblings? Or did she have a fall from grace?" 

This boy. So smart. 

I scanned the article again quickly, finding her name and typing it into Google. 

Esther Colombo. 

Other articles pertaining to the opening of the college popped up, and there was no mention of any family, other than a sister who she was estranged from. 

"Do you think she's still alive?" Barnabas murmured, reading over my shoulder. I took a moment to feel the heat radiating from his body before replying. "I guess so. Might as well try and talk to her."

A throat cleared at the top of the stairs and I immediately looked up to the thunderous Russian staring down at me. He seemed to get a little more cuddly every time I looked at him- but maybe that was my imagination.

"Hey Nikki!" 

His lip curled back from his teeth, and I swear he had fangs instead of normal people teeth. My eyes wandered over his form, seeing the familiar MMA shorts and sleeveless top that left his very muscular arms on display. 

"Oh, I'll go and grab my shit, give me 5?" 

Nikhil's eyes flicked behind me for a moment before he nodded, coming down the stairs and sitting across from me. I turned to Barnabas, waving a hand in front of his face as he stared at Nikhil. 

"I have to go to MMA club, so go and entertain yourself for a few hours. Should be done by around 6pm, since we're starting early tonight for a match tomorrow."

Barnabas cocked an eyebrow. "You do MMA?" 

I laughed. I really did. "Fuck no. I'm just the manager there- Nikhil basically told me he needed me, so I decided to grace them with my presence." 

A growl sounded from behind me and I rolled my eyes with a giggle. He was an animal. Hopefully in bed- No. No we are not going to go there. 

I ran up stairs and got changed quickly, getting into a pair of sweat shorts, a fitted sports long sleeve and a sleeveless puffer jacket with a pair of chunky sneakers and half calf socks. After a week in the club room, I learned it was easier to lift and run everywhere that was needed while wearing exercise clothes rather than jeans. Quite the learning curve. 

The air was tense when I walked down stairs, and both the boys were locked in some sort of masculinity stare off. To be honest, they were both very different types of beautiful. 

Barnabas was all sunny rays and golden beaches, and Nikhil was the thunderstorm in the distance that suddenly came to the front and twisted dangerously on the shore. 

Still. Both were hot. 

I cleared my throat, hefting my bag over one shoulder and tapping my watch for extra effect. "We're gonna be late." 

Nikhil stood, tearing his eyes away from Barnabas- was this erotic tension? 

"Yeah. Let's go." 

"Wait up, can I come?" Barnabas called, hurrying to our side. Nikhil stiffened beside me and I slumped my head to the side, thinking. 

"Hmm...are you sure? Nikhil is kind of scary to see training."

Barnabas scoffed, folding his arms. "Sure."

------

"You were right." Barnabas whispered, gulping anxiously as we both watched Nikhil beat the living shit out of a punching bag. Honestly, this was a bit more fury-oriented than he usually was. A particularly hard whack into the side of the bag had both of us wincing, and even a few of the other members turned around. 

Tim came to stand by me, placing a hand on my shoulder. "What's wrong with boss man?"

I shrugged my shoulders then blew the whistle for his five minute jab practice to be finished. Nikhil stopped immediately, then walked over, taking the towel and water I offered. 

"How was it?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "It was good, as always, but you're using up too much energy. If you keep going like this for the next few rounds, you won't be able to fight properly in the end of session spar." 

He frowned, not liking my comments. I sighed and grabbed the towel, making him bend down like he always did. Scrubbing his hair back to dry, I shook my head. 

"Calm down a bit. You have a fight tomorrow too, and your sister will probably do some passive aggressive shit to me afterwards if you get hurt."

I finished scrubbing his hair and he stood up straight, taking another swig of water. "Yeah. Only four minutes for the next round."

Tim stared open mouthed as Nikhil went back to the bag, blinking at me. "I don't know how you do it girlie, but you're the only one he listens to."

I laughed, pushing him back to his circuit. "He knows i'm smarter than him, that's why."

Barnabas stared at me, something different in his eyes. I raised an eyebrow. 

"What?"

He shook his head, looking back at the fists of fury pulverizing the bag. 

"You're happy here." He murmured, more of a statement than a fact. 

I nodded nonetheless, smiling as I looked around at all my boys. 

"I'm just happy Barny boy. And I like this feeling."

_____--