Chapter 26 - Possibilities

The next day was very bizarre. I woke up and got my tea as usual, then put on the news, this was only to find out that last week my hospital had been charged for inaccurate assumptions, and lack of help to the public. The hospital shut down just a few days ago. I then had a phone call from my new hospital out here in Canada, saying I had an appointment at 10:30, and needed to go quickly. I phoned the shop and told them I wouldn’t be able to work before making my way to the hospital.

The Canadian hospitals are much fancier and nicer and cleaner than the ones in England. I pushed myself out of everyones way and watched the sign for my name and room I’d be in. As soon as I saw it on the screen I made my way quickly to the room where I met my doctor.

“Hello there, I’d like to talk to you about your legs today” as soon as he spoke I knew this would be a difficult conversation, he looked me deeply in the eyes before speaking again, “I understand you have been in this wheelchair for quite some time after not being given proper treatment”

Proper treatment? I spoke to him for a while and soon found out that my hospital didn’t treat me properly in the operation, and actually damaged my legs on purpose because they couldn’t afford to do the operation that would enable me to walk.

I was absolutely furious. The doctor attempted to calm me down and eventually only managed to do it after telling me that there may be a way to help me walk again.

Apparently what my hospital had done was put something in my legs to remove the feeling, and then in my hips they took out something meaning I was unable to hold myself up. I was never paralyzed.

“There may be a way that we can fix it.” My doctor said, scrolling through all the papers on his desk.

“How did you find out about this, and about me?”

“Well you’re not the first person this has happened to, your hospital has been charged and will soon be closing down, as you live here now, we will be taking care of you.”

“But how did you find me?”

“Your father, after finding out about the hospital rung our hospital to see if his daughter, you, had been effected. After looking through data of your past hospital records it is highly likely that we may be able to help you.”

There was now a chance that I may be able to walk again. I sat in my chair looking at my legs with absolutely no words. After what felt like a few hours the doctor told me to put my hands on my hips, and apply as much pressure as I could. When I did so I was able to feel something at the top of my legs, like I was moving them with my hands.

“What do you feel?” He asked me, leaning in intently.

“My legs, I can feel them move” I was stunned, what on earth could have been happening.

My Doctor and I tried multiple things on me, the reflexes on my knee were unaffected, and we were soon discussing another operation. Of course I didn’t have the money for an operation like this, however, when I explained the money issue to him he told me that because I was a victim of the Hospital back in England, this hospital will pay for any treatment I need to help recover.

The news was amazing yet unbearable, and with this great news I head home to write dads postcard.

Hey Dad,

Hope you’re okay at home, I’m doing very well here.

I got a job the other day, and today I went to hospital.

I understand that you rung them, and I found out that I may have a chance to finally get out of this chair!

Also, yesterday I bumped into Richard, if you still talk to him mum, can you tell her to pass the message on to Richard that it was lovely meeting up with him, and would be nice to see him again.

Lots of love xx

I want to see Richard again, but I’m still mad so mustn’t text him. I know I’m not good enough, I can feel it, he doesn’t deserve me anyway, I’ve given him enough chances…

As much as I hate his guts right now I really wanna see him, like I did before, I want to hug him, and smile and laugh with him. Maybe if there’s a chance I can walk again then I’ll be good enough.