20. Love!

Haeri was panting. Obviously she was running in hurry. She was now the Blue House's Captain.

"We need a participant for JAM competition in the 9th-12th grade category. Will one of you take part?" she asked looking at me and Chaeyoung.

"Why don't you take part?" Chaeyoung retorted. I looked at her.

"I'm already a participant. We need one more. Someone didn't show up."

Chaeyoung saw me looking at her. "What? Are you gonna drag me again and make me go on stage again?" she asked.

"I will be the substitute. I will do it," I said and followed Haeri. Chaeyoung quietly followed us as well.

As we walked to the auditorium I recollected my earlier conversation with Chaeyoung and I was smiling to myself. I was going to tell her I loved her too. But Haeri interrupted at the critical moment. I promised to myself I would tell her right after the JAM competition ended.

I sat with other participants, waiting for my turn. I scanned the audience and saw the Triplet, sitting together. Chaeyoung looked worried, probably guessing what I was about to tell her.

Finally, the announcer called my name out and walked up to the stage. I was the last participant, the last to speak since I signed in late as a substitute.

First I went to the jar filled with chits of paper. I picked a random one and opened it to check my keyword. 'Facebook,' it was written. So I had to speak about Facebook for a minute. I walked to the microphone mentally preparing myself what to speak. I started off by introducing myself.

"Hello everyone, I'm Myoui Mina representing Blue House. And my keyword is..." I looked down at the chit again, on which the word 'Facebook' was written. Suddenly something clicked inside me and I said, "..my keyword is, Love."

"Whenever you're ready," said the announcer holding the stopwatch.

"What is love?" I paused two seconds for effect before speaking again. "It is not easy to define love or describe it because love comes in all forms. And we all have our ways of thinking what love is and how love feels. Is it when thinking of a certain person gives us butterflies? Or when just seeing that particular person can be enough to make us smile and make our day and all the worries go away? What I do know is that, love is something wonderful. Love is when someone's happiness comes before yours. Love is patient. Love is sacrifice. There are times when we feel shy and timid, when we are afraid of expressing the love we feel. Being afraid of embarrassing the other person or ourselves we hesitate to say the actual words “I love you”. One can say “I love you” in many ways: by means of nice presents and little notes, smiles and sometimes tears or maybe make your own special way of saying it. I have learned that, if we find love we should brave and grab it. Thank you."

I walked down from the stage amidst loud cheering, clapping and whistling. I sat next to Haeri along with other participants waiting for the result. We didn't have to wait long. A certain Lee Ja Gook from Red house came third, Han Soyeon from Yellow house came second and I was announced as the winner. I walked up on the stage once again to collect my prize. I saw Chaeyoung clapping madly in the crowd. 15 minutes ago she was afraid to move her arm and used a sling, but now she didn't care, she was clapping with that hand.

I talked about the love Chaeyoung showed me and I had won this but my true prize was Chaeyoung's love. Now I will go tell her what I had always wanted to, 'I love you, Son Chaeyoung.'

I walked towards the person I loved. She was smiling awkwardly. "You did great," she said.

"Let's go somewhere quiet and talk," I said and left the noisy auditorium. She followed me without a word. We ended up the Old Art's room. She closed the door behind her and stepped closer and faced me.

"You need to hear my response," I said.

"I'm all ears," she said, her eyes now glinting of hopes that I had shattered when I introduced Bambam to her as my boyfriend.

"I..." I was interrupted by what sounded like excited whispers. What are these noises?  We both looked at the closed door. Someone was outside?

I rushed to the door and opened it. Dahyun, Tzuyu and Jihyo who were leaning their ears on the door fell down in a messy pile.

"Abort mission!" Tzuyu, who was on top, shouted and ran away. Dahyun laughed in a fake exuberant manner.

"Isn't this the toilet? I guess no. Bye!! Where the hell is the toilet?" she runs away nervously.

"LET ME GO HELP HER FIND THE TOILET," Jihyo said and ran after Dahyun.

Apparently the three were trying to eavesdrop. And most probably they already talked to each other and they knew that the feeling between Chaeyoung and me, was mutual.

Chaeyoung was chuckling. She abruptly stopped and turned nervous  when my attention was on her again.

"No more waiting. No more fear. I was a fool to not listen to my heart sooner.  I have loved you for a long time, Chaeyoung. I love you," I finally said.

"Really?!" she asked for assurance as it was apparently hard for her to believe. I nodded and stepped closer. I held her head and kissed her forehead.

"Really. I love you, Son Chaeyoung," I repeated. She was smiling ear to ear.

It was spring in my heart. Every flower of every colour and every scent started to bloom in my heart and I couldn't be happier that I finally had the courage to confess my love.

"The first day we met..." she was saying, "my keyword was 'Love'. Today, yours was the same. Maybe it's fate. You spoke well but I couldn't utter a word three years ago. But I think I know now..... that.. Love is just a word, until someone comes along and gives it meaning. And for me, that meaning is you. You are love."

Then she held my hand, "Let's go find the girls. I have to introduced my girlfriend to them," she said. I just laughed and nodded. I dropped the crumpled chit of paper with the word 'Facebook' written on it which was still in my hand.

She held my hand tighter and pulled me along, dragging me... just like the way I pulled her three years ago on this very day.

-----------------------------------------------------
Author: Late update! But here's double update to make it up. Originally the story ends here but good news! I'm going to add an epilogue and we have to say goodbye in a day or two.