Chapter 01 | oath

They May Not Have Loved You But They Did Change You. They Taught You. They Grew You.

| - |

Killian Kings POV:

"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun."

Al Capone apparently said that, and my brother never failed to repeat it every single day until my 15th birthday.

He idolised the notorious mobster, adored how he started off in a street gang and ended up as one of the most famous gangsters of all time.

All with a smile and a gun.

You see being raised in the South Side left very little hope for me and my family. My Grandfather had a reputation, and then my Father followed soon after. They lived for the adrenaline pumping through their bodies, the quick rush that a decent kill could bring.

I despise this life, despise being a part of something callous and cruel.

That never mattered though, it wasn't a choice. I have my brothers to care for, my sister. I swore an oath, promising to protect and defend them for as long as I am alive.

My family are the best and worst thing in my life.

My older brother, Royal, got seized by the cops 12 months ago after we took a school hostage. The same school where most of our rivals attended.

He swears it was worth it, just to see Skylar Rossi beg for his permission to hug his sister.

My irmão was a sick fucker, rotten to the core of his bones. It was in our genes and no matter how hard we try to ignore it, you can't change your DNA.

I was left in charge of The Kings. Expected to care for and control the remaining siblings.

Which was a harder task than anyone could've ever expected.

And one I was fortunately terrible at.

"Kill, we've got no food left." Jayden shouts from downstairs.

I sign internally, this motherhood shit ain't for me.

"Sort it out then. What do you expect me to do?" I call back, pulling myself out of bed.

I shove a shirt on and run downstairs to be greeted by two of my brothers rolling around on the floor.

Fuck this.

Ignoring them, I throw myself on the couch and groan. I'm never fucking drinking again.

That's a lie.

I could almost sense Cole's judging glare, but he knew better than to comment.

All of them do.

"Are you just going to ignore them?" Charlotte asks me, scoffing in disbelief.

I raise my eyebrow, "Yeah. And what?"

She just shakes her hair at me, gesturing for her twin to sort them out.

"Liam, get off him now." Cole kicks him off Elliot, picking him up by his collar and throwing him on the opposite couch. "Fucking idiots."

"Merda, Cole!" Liam cried, "You hurt my ribs!"

"Did I?" Cole smiles, raising a brow. "Maybe next time you'll be smart enough to not let the Viado touch you."

"Hey, Lily." Jayden smirks at me, throwing a newspaper in my direction. "Guess what?"