Chapter 24 | reminder

Thomas Edison's Last Words Were 'It's Very Beautiful Over There'. I Don't Know Where There Is, But I Believe It's Somewhere. And I Hope It's Beautiful.

| - |

Black suit. Black tie. Black shoes.

I fucking hate funerals.

Our gang was finally back together, but it was at the cost of a family death.

Royal sat at the front of the church, his arm wrapped around my little sister. My heart shattered as she sobbed into my brothers arms.

Charlotte never cried.

Not even after she found out Mom died. She was the only one who didn't break.

Two police officers stood at the back of the church, watching Royal carefully. Anger sparked in my veins as their raw callousness, their inconsideration.

My brother is dead.

They aren't welcome here.

Just before I could stand up with the full intentions of kicking them out, the doors open and a gang of people walk in.

Rochelle Quinn's eyes were empty as she strolled into the church. Our gazes met and she nodded her head at me. The clear scar littering her neck glitters from the sun shining through the stained-glass windows, serving as a constant reminder of the life that could've been lost so easily.

Reagan followed behind her, wheeling Bodhi in.

The boy had definitely seen better days.

The others followed in, slowly filling up the seats on the opposite side to us.

Ivan, Jesse, Sky, Alec, Lana, Zach.

And five other figures walked in behind them.

My brows furrowed as I stared at two of the boys, instantly recognising one of them as Rochelle's boyfriend, Kenzie. The bruise on his cheek had faded, but the outline was still there slightly. The other one remained unknown to me, yet I recognised him from Alberto's ice cream parlour.

Judging by the way he greeted Alec, Ivan and Sky, I knew for certain this was their little brother Kade.

Why were they here? Kenzie was a pawn in Crellins game, but Kade didn't know us. None of them knew my brother.

Kenzie Jensen refused to look at anybody but Rochelle, even though her eyes were entirely focused on Bodhi.

Reagan stopped his wheelchair before the altar, and Rochelle offered her arm which Bodhi gratefully took. They walked up to the coffin, and I noticed each of my brothers watching them carefully.

One thing that always confused me about Bodhi was his complete and utter loyalty to those he cares about. Every time I've seen him since I first met him all them years ago, he always kept the same thing with him.

Dogtags.

Not necessarily military tags, but these dogtags he kept on a chain around his neck.

I've never seen him without them on, not even now.

But as soon as he walked up to my brothers open coffin, his hand goes up to his neck and rips the dogtags from the chain and places them into the coffin.

Rochelle pats his back gently, before helping Reagan get him back in the chair and going back up to Brett.

She visibly swallowed, and I felt Jayden straighten his back as his eyes zeroed in on her movements.