Chapter 11 | trust

She Was Looking For A Boy Who Would One Day Be A King, Who Could Slay The Dragons That Guarded Her Cave And Make Her Remember That She Was A Queen.

| - |

No. Not again.

Royal's sharp, pained-consumed screams erupt throughout the basement. I would've been worried about the kids hearing it but Dad had soundproofed the walls a long time ago.

"Sua putinha. Você vai pagar por perder o meu dinheiro!"

"Pai, pare de machucá-lo. Por favor." I hiccup, tears strolling down my face.

I can't lose Royal too.

Pai runs his knife across Royal's arm, who just stares at him emotionlessly.

"Pai!"

He turns to me now, his infamous spiral knife glistening in the dark, morose light.

"Don't hurt him, please." I slip up, catching Royal's stare.

He backhands me, sending my small body flying to the floor.

He hates me speaking English. My cheek aches but I push myself up.

One punch after another hit me. My breathing becomes shallow but he doesn't care, he's never cared.

"Kill," I can't find the energy to pull my weak body up from the floor. "Killian, it's okay."

"Royal." My voice breaks, "Royal, everything hurts."

"I won't let him hurt you again, irmão. I promise you."

My eyes shoot open, blinking in the darkness. My chest fell heavy from the rushed breathing but I pay no attention to it.

What an honour is must be to wake up without the everlasting fear of what the next day will bring.

-----------

"Fucking stupid piece of shit." I mutter under my breath, messing with the tie around my neck. "Fucking tie you-"

"Shut up." Charlotte swats my hand away, moving to grab the tie itself. "You gonna speak to me?"

"No." I mumble, diverting my gaze from her still healing lip.

"You'll have to speak to me eventually, Kill." She ties it properly, stepping away from me with her arms crossed. "I won, didn't I?"

"That's not the point. You should have told me."

"I knew how you'd react." She fires back.

I frown, "You lied to me, Lottie. I won't ever forget that."

"You don't have to treat me like a kid. I'm not fragile just because I'm a girl." Fucks sake, here comes the feminist rant. "No! Don't fucking give me that look. The 'stop speaking about equality shit' look. It's 2019, grow the fuck up. I'm not sitting out of this fight, Killian. The people who took Brett needed to know I'm not a weak link."

"I'm not treating you like this because you're a gir-"

She cuts me off, "Yes you fucking are. You never reacted like this when any of our brothers have fought, not even Eli and he was 11 when he first got into the ring! I'm not going to be sat at home baking fucking cakes and cleaning up while you go out and fight. And I definitely don't need your permission to defend my family or get into the ring."

"You can do something with your life, Lottie. Please don't involve yourself in this." My voice softens and I stare at her sadly.

She shakes her head, "So can Eli and you still wouldn't give him this bullshit talk. He wants to go to College and do something with his life. I don't. This is who I am, this is what we were born to do." She studies my expression, before realisation floods her eyes. "You don't think I'm strong enough to do this. Why?" I don't reply, furthering her argument from before. "Try telling Rocky that. My gender doesn't determine my strength or capability to look out for those I care for. You need to learn that."