June 18th • 16

- That Petty Crime's True Prize -

Sunday

June 18th, 1995

Dear Diary,

I went to open the door and it wasn't father there but a man drowning in the smell of alcohol - a drunk man.

I don't want to call him my father but he is my father. And I regret this fact.

He pushed me aside as he stepped in with his drowsy footsteps. I asked him about where was he?

Father said, Theke pe tha - Dus kyu - Kut*ya

(At bar - Why (you ask) - Bit*h)

Kudi nu gali de rha hai!

(Swearing to the girl!)

Dadi yelled as she came out while still struggling for balance.

I ran to Dadi to support her. Dadi was really angry at father. He was fully drunk and back answered Dadi.

Hai (Yes) He said.

Mere nal zaban na lada

(Don't answer me back) Dadi said

Bas kudi toh hai yeh beti nhin

(She's only a girl, not a daughter) father said.

Zada na das

(Don't say too much)

Dadi replied angrily. She left my support and asked me to go inside. I went. But the voices were so loud that I could here their very single word, I wished I couldn't.

She moved and stood beside father, I assume. Me kari chup (I said be quite)

Na kyu hun mera muh kala keya ise bhi toh pta chale iske kartute -

(No why, when she brought shame to me then she needs to know what she did - )

Chup (Shut up) She slapped him.

I thought what have I done?

Me kari na chup kar (I'm saying be quite)

Yeh chori ne jo pehe churie us ka nateja aaj teri yeh kharab halat hai

(This girl, the money she stole has resulted in your bad health)

Chu-p ka- (Shu-t u-)

I heard a big sound. I ran outside thinking that I knew that the money I stole was for Dadi's MRI test but how can this be that she is ill now because of that? She got her MRI done in March!

Then it struck me! Dadi never got her MRI done, she lied to me, for my sake.

A tear fell from my left eye as I exited my room and saw that Dadi had fallen down. She - She...