June 19th • 21

- Blue Umbrella -

Monday

June 19th, 1995

Dear Diary,

Now I have to kill the thing I despise more than me. My dream, my selfish dream of becoming a doctor. 

In this world dreams are free to have but costs your family, your everything to follow.

First my mother then my grandmother have already perished because of my selfish dream. I wanted to be a doctor to save people not to kill them. But now I have to stop this.

I stood before the rusted wooden door, took my umbrella, opened it and stepped outside in the rain. I went to Kartik's place and told him that I'll no longer work as his maid.

When I was coming back the pouring sky was dark blue like my umbrella and whenever I'm under rain, this thought always revisits my mind - I always thought of my blue umbrella as hope, the hope that protects me from the despair of rain

On the way I also went to withdraw my form for entrance exam. I've decided I'll leave the studies.

I reached the rusted wooden door again, opened it and saw father sitting on the sofa in front of me. Standing on the threshold, the wind blew, making my hair to cover the sides of my face and my blue umbrella fell down as I said, "I am ready to marry".

Father smiled and handed me his friends photo, "He's the boy whose photo a gave you before. So, you okay with him".

This time I looked at the photo, he had a young face with a dusk of sadness!

I gave my answer to father and the wind blew again covering my face. I left my umbrella there and wen to my room.

Good Night, Diary.  

- The End -