🌹 Chapter 20: Opus 20🌹

People packed the church, filling the pews with their bodies and the air with their voices. The noise rolled about in soft murmurs that sounded more like hundreds of winged insects taking to the air. No voice rose above the other, but rather, they all stayed at the same muted tone.

It left for an unnerving feeling and Ciel shifted his weight. Standing at the front of the church made the feeling even worse. Not only did he have to deal with the muffled conversations, he also had to worry about the hundreds of eyes that stared at him. Inquisitive, they tracked his every movement, silently judging him to see if he could hold his own.

Ciel tugged anxiously at his tie and then smoothed down the front of his suit again. He couldn't keep still under the intense gazes and his heart hammered against his chest. Next to him, Claude didn't look any better and Ciel worried that neither of them would make it through the ceremony without passing out. He had good reason to feel nervous though and he reached up to adjust the flower pinned to his suit.

"Stop it," Claude hissed. "You're making me edgy."

"I can't help it," Ciel growled back. "I'm nervous."

Claude gave a hollow laugh. "You're nervous? What do you think I am?"

Ciel's lips twitched. "Scared shitless?"

"Har," Claude grunted and pushed up his glasses. "I believe you're the one who looks like he's about to piss himself."

Ciel scowled. "If we weren't in a church right now, I'd strangle you." His eyes darted to the congregation that sat in the pews and he could feel their heavy gaze on them once more. The mass amount of people only made him even more nervous and Ciel tried to focus his attention on something else. Like the flowers that lined the altar. That was a safe and neutral object.

His fingers twitched, wanting to play with his tie again and Ciel firmly clasped his hands together in front of him. Despite the cool air in the church, sweat still beaded up on his hairline and Ciel wished the ground would open up to swallow him. He never thought a wedding could be so nerve wracking.

He jumped when the organ started to play and Claude grabbed his wrist. "Relax; they're not coming just yet." Claude shook his head. "Seriously now, you're making me freak out."

"This is all your fault," Ciel grumbled.

Claude didn't answer him and instead turned to look down the aisle. Ciel sighed heavily and followed his lead. Despite his nervousness, he still found himself looking forward to seeing Sebastian walking down the aisle. The thought made his heart race even more and Ciel took a few deep breaths to steady himself. The last thing he needed was to pass out. No one would let him live that down.

The flower girls moved past them, sprinkling the petals onto the ground with cheerful smiles. Ciel vaguely wondered who would have to clean up the mess afterwards. Behind them, a small procession of bridesmaids moved down the aisle and Ciel shifted to look around them. He hoped to see Sebastian, but the line of females moved too slowly and he huffed in annoyance.

The organ struck another key, raising the tone and almost like a wave, the congregation turned to face the back of the church. Next to him, Claude swallowed audibly and Ciel took comfort in knowing that someone as composed as Claude had trouble controlling himself now.

His breath caught in his throat as Sebastian moved down the aisle and he locked his knees together as they started to quiver. Sebastian looked stunning in the crisp black suit and Ciel traced over every line that made up Sebastian's body. The suit fit well and despite Sebastian's long and loud complaining at the tailors, it had obviously been worth it.

Blue eyes slid to the woman next to him. She smiled softly as they walked down the aisle, her white dress a stark contrast to Sebastian's black suit. Two opposites in almost every sense of the word, yet they complimented each other well. Yin and yang, Ciel figured as they approached the altar and next to him, Claude shifted in place.