Chapter Ten - Song Writing with Ben

♥️ Jade's P.O.V ♥️

I was walking back to my locker after 4th period for lunch when I started hearing what sounded like music playing very faintly. Being my typical curious self, I finished putting my stuff away in my locker and decided to investigate more on the mysterious noise. I figured since it sounded like music, it had to be coming from the music room.

I closed my locker and listened closer, following the sound as it got louder and louder.

I looked through the glass window on the door and saw Ben there, strumming his guitar with a open book and a pen on a music stand in front of him

I slowly and quietly open the door so he wouldn't hear me come in. I carefully close it and listened to him play. He was really good.

"Everybody's tryna be a billionaire, but every time I look at you I just don't care. 'Cause all I wanna be, yeah all I ever wanna be, yeah, yeah, is somebody to you" Ben sang as he played on the guitar along with it.

"That sounds awesome" I spoke up and smiled faintly.

He turned around, surprised to see me, "Oh hey, thanks. I didn't even hear you come in. How long have you been standing there?"

"Not too long. I never knew you wrote songs. Or even play the guitar" I said, sitting down in the chair beside him.

"Yeah, I started playing the guitar when I was 12 and I began writing songs when I was about 13," He replied and sat his guitar down for a moment.

"That's really neat. I actually write songs too" I admitted.

"Wait, really?" Ben asked me and I nodded, reaching into my book bag and pulling out a small journal filled with sticky notes, tabs, and papers spilling out of it, "I've had this since I was 11, which is when I began writing my own songs".

I gave the book to him and he analyzed it very closely, almost like it was an ancient artifact, "Wow. It sure seems like you've put this book to good use" He chuckled softly.

I laughed faintly and took my song book back into my own hands, "Ha, yeah it sure has. I would probably die if something ever happened to this book" I joked. "Song writing is kinda like my escape from reality, especially since the Isle was definitely a rough place to grow up on" I sighed, fiddling the book around in my hands.

"I totally get what you mean, it's my escape, too. Especially with all of the soon-to-be kingly duties I am forced to complete in a very short amount of time." He said, then sighed, "But that probably is nothing compared to what you guys had to deal with back on the Isle" He frowned.

I bit my lip softly, looking down at the book in my hands, and just slightly nodded in agreement.

Ben, in a very friendly manner, put his hand over mine, "Jade, I'm sorry you guys had to grow up there, I really am".

I looked up at him and shrugged, "There's nothing you could've done to stop us from growing up there, Ben. What's important is that you brought us here to Auradon now, so thank you for that" I smiled faintly.

He smiled back, "Of course, people don't have the right to judge you guys just because of your parents' past actions. You all should be given a chance to prove yourselves that you can be good. You guys aren't your parents."