Chapter 1

Title: Guardian of Healing

Summary: With a curse epidemic sweeping across Lagaard and the hospital to its breaking point, Lynus' healing skills are needed more than ever. But these curses just might push him to his breaking point...

Warnings: Mention of curses and hexes, and medical speak/jargon, and people simply suffering.

AN: Ahhhhh I've wanted to work on this for a while so I am so incredibly happy to be able to finally start it! It'll likely be more than ten chapters long, but it's really important to the CtS series. I won't give anything away, so be sure to read and let me know what you think of the cliffhanger at the end~

--

Chapter 1:

It was rare for Lynus to be given a day off from the hospital, but after being part of a party that rescued a squadron of missing guards, healing them until they reached the hospital, Dr Stiles insisted that Lynus take some much earned time off.

"What have you got in mind for your day off?" Axel asked him as he slipped into the bathroom of their room, to prepare himself for the day.

"Hm," Lynus murmured as he perched a hairband between his lips and raked his fingers through his hair, pulling the strands back into a small ponytail. He grabbed the band and tied it around his hair three times. "Honestly, I'd like to gather some stones from the second stratum. I haven't actually worked with any of those yet."

"I think Tobyn wants to re-examine the eighth floor," Axel said from the bathroom, over the sound of running water. "Once he hears we're considering it, he'll tag along. There's a blank spot there that's been pissing him off for ages."

Lynus chuckled as he slipped on his medical coat. "I think the whole second stratum frustrates him."

Well, Lynus shouldn't say too much. He also held some resentment for the Scarlet Forest. With all those dangerous vines on the ground, ready to tear apart anyone's feet should they step on them. Unfortunately, there were some places where they had no choice but to cautious step over these 'moving tiles', as they were called.

Well, at least there were no pits for them to worry about, unlike the fourth stratum...

Axel stepped out of the bathroom with a towel around his neck, wearing a sleeveless black shirt over his dark blue pants. He sat on the edge of the bed to pull on his boots. "If we're lucky, we'll be in the labyrinth for only a few hours. After that, we should head to the bar and piss off Cass for a while."

Again, Lynus laughed. Cass had once made the mistake of complaining about how Lynus and Axel were too lovey-dovey toward each other. The sight of them together incited jealousy amongst the patrons, he claimed. That, of course, only prompted Lynus and Axel to be more open in their affection for one another, riling Cass up even more.

"Sounds good," he said as he reached for his medical bag.

But as his fingers brushed over the strap of his bag, there was a knock at the door. It was a slight knock, but one he recognised nonetheless. He knew that Hamza was on the other side of the door.

A sense of curiosity washed over him as Lynus grabbed his bag and placed it upon his shoulder as he crossed the room to the door. He opened the door, readjusting his bag on his shoulder as he did so, and found Hamza standing expectantly on the other side.

Hamza offered him a small smile. "Ah, good," he said. "Lynus, there is a guard here to see you. Sent from the hospital, apparently."

"Oh?" Lynus murmured in surprise before a concerned frown appeared on his lips.