Chapter 3

AN: So glad that I got this chapter done before the migraine really set in (doesn't help that neighbours are using fucking power tools since 6 fucking am what the hell??) >.< Anyway, we get to meet a new (to this series) character in this chapter, so yay~! Now I hope you enjoy reading and let me know what you think~

-

Chapter 3:

Axel kept his arm firmly around Lynus' shoulders as he guided him upstairs toward their room. When they had returned to the inn, Lynus was understandably bombarded by concerned guildmates and family members. It was of little surprise that what had transpired at the hospital had already reached gossip circles.

From what Axel knew and understood; nothing like it had happened before. There had been a few rowdy patients who had snuck out during their stay or some who barricaded themselves in their rooms for whatever reason. But no one had ever gone as far as to take a medic hostage. Though many explorers saw medics as dead weight in the labyrinth, in the hospital they are invaluable. And were meant to remain unharmed.

What happened today defied acceptable belief.

Axel tried to reign in his protective anger directed toward the gunner. He had been reassured that the man had not been sound of mind at the time. In fact he was suffering from a madness curse. He was lost in his own delusions. And he was made that way by someone else. Potentially, at least.

"Well," Lynus murmured as they walked into their room and he dropped his medical bag onto the table near the window. "That was a morning I hadn't anticipated."

Axel nodded his head idly as he closed and locked the door out of habit before he turned to watch Lynus carefully. "Honestly, I thought there was something suspicious going on when you got that note this morning."

Lynus made a sound of agreement as he placed his head hand upon his right shoulder and rolled it idly. "Hm. You can understand the secrecy, though, can't you?" he said. "If the general public knew that there is a potential curse-maker running amok, every twinge and twitch would be a curse or hex."

"Yeah, that's true."

Those patients would probably be more troublesome than those who were actually cursed. And the last thing the hospital and staff needed right now.

Axel was about to ask Lynus something along the lines of whether or not he was really ok but paused when he saw that he was staring out the window, his hands resting a top of the table in front of him. And he was trembling ever so slightly.

"What's wrong?" Axel asked as he immediately stepped up behind him and wrapped his arms around the lithe medic.

"Sorry," Lynus automatically murmured before he shook his head and lifted his hand to point at his own forehead with his index finger. "I'm just realising that I just had a gun pointed at my head. One shot could have..."

Axel shifted his hold on him to turn him around and pulled him against his chest, threading his fingers through his hair when Lynus buried his face against his shoulder. "I know."

It was going to take quite some time for him to rid himself of the sight of Lynus fruitlessly tugging at the arm that was around his neck, being held like a human shield, his feet just barely touching the ground. But it was his eyes that killed him the most. Wide and full of fear.

And yet...there was a small shimmer of relief when his gaze locked with his.

Lynus' arms slipped around him to desperately grasp at the back of Axel's shirt, his grip tight. "You were the first thing I thought of," he murmured. "And it actually made me feel calm. Strange, isn't it?"