Chapter 12

AN: Finally reached that Important Plot Point of the CtS series, so I hope you'll enjoy reading~!

-

Chapter 12:

Axel gritted his teeth in a desperate attempt to ignore the near crippling pain radiating from his back. He had to ignore it. He didn't have time to think about it. Monsters were everywhere. They were attacking. And his guildmates were...they were all suffering from a varying degree of hexes.

He was the only one standing. He was the only one who could fight these things.

Fighting was all he was good at.

He had to keep going. For everyone's sake. There was no question whether or not he would live through this; he would. No matter what. He wasn't going to let a bunch of arrogant hexers and their dirty little tricks take him away from Lynus and his guild.

A soft purple light suddenly surrounded him. It was startling, and yet comforting at the same time. It felt familiar. As did the etching of his skin on his back. This feeling...it reminded him of Lynus' gentle healing.

And yet it felt slightly...different.

Directing his axe toward the head of another derange ragelope, Axel managed to turn around enough to look behind him. As he did so, he froze.

Lynus had reached the battlefield. But what was happening...wasn't normal. He had never, ever seen Lynus heal anyone like this!

Lynus stood near the centre of the impromptu battlefield. His hands were interlocked together and resting comfortable near his stomach. His hair floated angelically from an unfelt breeze and a soft, violet formed around him. His eyes were half-lidded, yet they appeared hazy. Lips slightly parted, but not moving as if he was uttering a spell.

Then the strangest thing happened. Something that made Axel's heart all but stop beating.

A pair of what could only be described as angel wings suddenly unfurled from his back, spreading out to their full length behind him in a magical display before gently folding back to rest majestically by his sides. They were pure white, soft and feathery, the wing tips ending a mere inch from the ground.

The violet light around him brightened and so did the light surrounding Axel and everyone else upon the battlefield. When it did, Axel felt the pain on his back abruptly dissipate and the vine-like bindings at his feet disappear at the exact same time.

The startled gasps and murmurs from others around him caused Axel to briefly move his gaze away from Lynus to the rest of his guildmates. Jhon picked himself off the ground as Tobyn looked down at his arms in surprise. Lirit was slowly relinquishing his hold on Macerio who was trying to sit up in a startled manner. Hamza was up on his feet also with Cedric glued to his side. And Shen had taken straight to his feet, sword clutched in one hand while Magnus stay sat on the ground, eyes wide as he stared directly at Lynus.

In fact everyone was staring at him with wide eyes and mouths agape in pure surprise. Axel was certain that he was no different as he turned to stare at Lynus once more. And as he did, the severity of what just happened struck him.

All the curses and hexes, every single ailment, bind and injury were gone. All of them. Taken care of completely.

How...?

A different kind of curse suddenly tumbled from the lips of the hexer closest to Lynus. "Fuck. He really is the Guardian of Healing."

Wh-what did this mean? What did any of this mean? What the hell was going on?!