Chapter 13

AN: And we've reached the second last chapter to this saga. Turned out a little longer than expected, but hey, what can you do?

-

Chapter 13:

It was no surprise that Lynus was given the best private room in the hospital. One that was in a quiet wing, where there was little foot traffic so the occupant inside could have the peace necessary to sleep and recuperate. But it was also in an area close to the nurse's station in case of any unforeseen drama or complications.

It was also thankfully big enough for a pull out cot to be set up, allowing for Axel to rest upon so he didn't need to leave. Not that he would have. Even without the cot, he would have just slept in a chair. Even if sleep felt unlikely at this point in time.

After ensuring that Lynus was lying comfortably upon the bed, Axel grabbed a chair and immediately pulled in close to him. And for the first time in what felt like hours, he sat down.

"I want you to try to get some rest," Dr Stiles sat as he stood on the other side of the bed, his hand lying flat against Lynus' forehead even though his gaze was strictly upon Axel. "The wound on your back has completely healed, but it takes time for you to regain the blood you've lost."

Axel abruptly realised that he was still dressed in his bloodied and torn clothes and winced. He made no attempt to stand up, however, and just nodded his head idly. "I'm not going anywhere until he wakes us, so this is as restful as I'm going to be."

Dr Stiles didn't look even remotely surprised by his response. "Ah, fair enough," he said as he pulled his hand back from Lynus' forehead and motioned toward a door in the corner of the room. "There's an attached bathroom so you won't have to wander too far." He smiled suddenly and took a few steps away from the bed. "At least you won't be alone."

Axel was a little perplexed by his last sentence. But then he heard the sound of hurried footsteps outside and he immediately understood. And felt a small smile slip across his lips.

In a flurry of movement and the chatter of concerned voices, the room was suddenly filled with the rest of the Guardian Guild. Half of them immediately huddled around the bed while the other half asked Dr Stiles questions. Questions about Lynus and his health. Axel was sure that Hamza would have reassured them before he did anything else, but they wanted and needed extra reassurance.

They were making a lot of noise. But it was ok. This kind of noise...was good. It was comforting. And even though Lynus was unconscious, he was certain that their presence was reassuring to him in his dreams.

Axel was pulled from his observations and thoughts when Magnus moved to stand next to him. And he was clutching something against his chest.

"H-here," Magnus said as he indicated to what appeared to be a bundle of clothing in his arms. "We brought you a change of clothes."

"Ah, thanks," Axel said as he retrieved the clothes from him and gave the blond alchemist a small smile.

He should probably make the attempt to get changed. Tidy himself up a bit and be somewhat presentable. He didn't want to alarm Lynus when he awoke later. He was sure that seeing him dressed in a pair of blood-free and not brutally torn clothing would reassure his guildmates, too.

Still, it was difficult for him to take to his feet and head to the small bathroom of the room. But he did so. On autopilot to be perfectly honest. But it was still enough to busy himself, especially his mind. Removing his old, dirty clothing and putting on his new ones. A splash of cold water on the face also helped.

He left the old clothes on a chair in the bathroom, though, deciding to deal with them later. He walked silently out of the bathroom, comforted by the sight of his guild (minus Hamza as he was busy elsewhere) as they quietly talked amongst themselves.