Chapter 8

AN: Longer chapter this week, yay~ And we continue the theme of Lynus being subtly amazing while others subtly worry about him :'D

-

Chapter 8:

Hamza rubbed at his eyes with the heels of his palms forcefully, hoping that the motion would will him to stay awake for just a little bit longer. It was late at night, rather early in the morning. Pitch black outside with no moon to be seen.

The only light in the room was being emitted from the fireplace, of which was burning strong as it usually was this time of year. The roaring flames and the crackling of wood offered a sense of peace and security. And after what had transpired the last couple of days, it was greatly needed.

On the couch located closest to the fireplace lay Axel and Lynus. Axel was lying upon his back with Lynus lying atop of him, using his chest as a pillow while Axel kept both arms wrapped around him firmly. Axel's head was propped up slightly with a pillow so that his face was close to that of Lynus', his lips against his forehead. They were very intimate, sweet, and appeared as they would any other night.

But tonight, with the dark rings under Lynus' eyes and Axel holding him more firmly than usual, gave the indication that things were indeed not of the norm.

The fact that the entire Guardian guild had chosen to bunker down in the tearoom together was another sign.

Idly, Hamza gazed around at the other occupants in the room, taking a moment to mentally remind himself that they were all present and safe.

Shen was lying down on a futon with Magnus nestled at his side and head resting on his chest, but the ronin himself was not resting. He was alert and ready to jump into action without a moment's notice. The tight grip he had on his blade and the one he had around Magnus' shoulders was a testament to his readiness.

Jhon and Tobyn occupied another futon, the two blonds having only just agreed to find rest there a mere half an hour ago. Before then they had been helping with the research and putting together makeshift charms in hopes of warding off curses and hexer. Now, though, they rested together, Jhon on his back while Tobyn curled up against his side. Though Jhon was the protector, the way that Tobyn had positioned himself next to him, his bow and arrow at the ready on the floor next to them, it appeared as Tobyn was the one who was in protective mode.

More so than usual.

On the other couch in the room lay Macerio and Lirit, curled up together on one end, Macerio with his head upon Lirit's shoulder and Lirit resting his head upon Macerio's. A blanket was draped over them, but they held hands above the blanket, interlocked together tightly.

And, finally, choosing to stay inside for the night was Rahas. He laid on the floor in front of the fireplace, using Chi-hung as a pillow, the white tiger more than happy to let him do so. Though it appeared that Rahas was indeed sleeping, releasing small puffs of air as he snored, Chi-hung was restless. His ears and the tip of his tail kept twitching, jolting suddenly and he would tense. He wouldn't move though, so there was no cause for alarm. It was just signs that he was as tense as everyone else.

Hamza rubbed at his eyes again and turned to look over at Cedric who had chosen to stay the night as well. He sat at a small table and chair setting in the corner of the room and idly flipped through a book in front of him.

He was about to tell the troubadour to get some sleep as well or risk agitating his lungs when he heard the soft sound of footsteps outside the room. Out of habit and protectiveness, he turned to look and watched with a hand sneaking out to his sword as the door opened.