Chapter 5

AN: I was on a writing streak this week~ Not sure how well next week's updates will happen, but I'll give it my best shot. In any case, hope you enjoy reading!

-

Chapter 5:

Back in the safety of the inn, Hamza had immediately gone in search for the others while Axel escorted Lynus to the room Mahogany was currently staying in. Axel had wanted to be in the room with him, but Lynus felt it would be better if he spoke to Mahogany on his own. Though the hexer didn't seem to be intimidated by Axel, there was a possibility that he may keep certain facts hidden or would be reluctant to answer some of Lynus' questions if Axel was standing tersely and on guard by the door.

Of course, it took Lynus about five minutes to convince Axel that he was going to be fine. And at the end he had to settle for Axel standing guard just outside the door.

In all honesty, though, Axel's protectiveness was appreciated. He felt an enormous sense of security at knowing that Axel would be just outside the door. If anything should go wrong, Axel was a mere few steps away.

Not that Lynus felt that he was in any kind of danger being within Mahogany's presence. The mysterious hexer was still in a very fragile state, health wise. Physically too, most likely. And, honesty, Lynus just could not see or sense Mahogany holding any ill intent toward him.

But after what happened just moments ago, he was still on edge. And with Axel's aura strong and true close by, he felt safe.

Drawing in a deep breath, Lynus softly knocked on the door before trying the handle and slowly opening it. He peeked inside to find Mahogany sitting up in his bed, pillows piled against his back and the headboard, the bedsheets pooled at his waist.

Mahogany turned to look at him the moment he stepped through the door and tilted his head to the side. "Hm? You look haggard. Did something happen?"

Lynus gave him a weary smile as he closed the door and crossed the floor to stop by an empty chair next to Mahogany's bed. "We had an encounter with someone we believe to be one of the students you're looking for."

Mahogany's eyes narrowed ever so slightly, though his stoic expression remained unchanged. "And you got away without a curse?"

Sinking down onto the chair, Lynus dropped his bag next to his feet but within reaching distance. "He managed to bind Axel's legs and Hamza's arms, but I was able to remove them easily enough."

"He didn't curse you?" Mahogany asked him.

"No, surprisingly," Lynus answered with a slight shake of his head. "He tried, though. A cranium curse, I think."

"I see..." Mahogany murmured as he turned his gaze down toward his lap where his hands were folded neatly and he started to mumble to himself. "He failed? I find that hard to believe..."

He said something else, but Lynus was unable to catch the words. "Pardon?"

Mahogany flicked his deep red eyes in his direction and seemed to simply look at him for a short moment before he shook his head. "No, it's nothing."

Lynus decided not to push him. Instead he bent forward to retrieve a notebook from his bag. He had more pressing matters to address first. "Do you mind if I ask you a few more questions?"

Mahogany nodded his head, having anticipated that he would most likely be interrogated for answers. "Very well. But please note that some of the things I tell you, you may not fully understand. The life of a hexer is...a mysterious one."

"Yes, I understand," Lynus responded as he flipped his notebook open to a spare page and pulled out the pencil he kept in the spine of the book. "I'd like to start with why I get this pain in my chest whenever I remove a curse."