Unknown

Unknown: Your house is so nice, clean. It smells exactly like you. Now which one is your room? I heard you earlier.

I cried like a baby, but who could blame me? I was alone in my house, I wasn't exactly strong and this person looked big. I didn't want to go through this! I didn't want to have to fend for my life! ... the gun. Oh my- The gun! My mom's boyfriend had been living here for the past month and I remember seeing him have a revolver in his drawer beside their bed. I knew how to work it, never shot one before but I knew how to load and shoot it. I'm so grateful my mom asked him to move in now. I took a deep breath, I had to work up the nerve to leave the comforts of my room. They were right across the hall from me, just right there... but a lot could happen during that.

They could be right down the stairs and run to me before I could reach their room. The thought alone made me panic. I never thought about doing it before but I did what I hadn't done for a very long time. I prayed to God. I was desperate to live and I felt like now would be a good time to be a believer. I never said he wasn't real, but I never thought about him either. I hoped he was real at that moment, that he would protect me. 

My heart pounded in my chest, I slowly unlocked my door, listening close to the outside, I hadn't heard anything in a while and no messages either. I whimpered before I let out a shaky breath and opened the door, as quiet as I could. The good thing about being mute? I wouldn't scream at being so scared while going to their room.

The moment I heard a creak from my door I opened it all the way and ran to my mom's door, I was so relieved it was open. I made my way inside the room and slammed the door shut, locking it then looked around at the wardrobe they had. I pushed it in front of the door with the strength I never knew I had. I wept as I heard the stairs creak as they would when someone was on them. Taking a deep breath, I searched the drawer beside my mom's boyfriends side of the bed for the gun, I found it, along with the bullets. Putting it on safety I quickly loaded the gun with shaky fingers. I inhaled sharply, looking at the door, grateful I put the gun on safety as my grip tightened on the trigger as my phone vibrated.