Futuristic Beginnings

The darkness behind my eyelids changed to an orange-red when the sun peaked through my window and onto my sleeping face, ultimately waking me up. I unwillingly opened my eyes and laid in my bed for a few minutes until I decided to sit up. Groaning at the strain of my stiff muscles, I look over at my alarm clock that rested on the side of my bed.

5:50.

The anguished sound that escaped my throat surprised me because of the everlasting silence that clouded the whole house. I fell back onto my bed and let out another groan for, again, waking up ten minutes before my alarm. Getting up, I pulled back the curtain that was supposed to keep me asleep in the first place.

Looking out the window, my eyes traced the floating,— as well as some non-floating— cars that went back and forth on the road; they always looked so mesmerizing.

This was the year 2050. This was the future.

Yes, we still need alarm clocks to wake up. Go figure.

The sky looked the same as always, a tinted turquoise-blue with minimal clouds. It never changed, unless it rains or the weather is really hot or cold. Now, the sky reflects the climates each day: turning red if it’s hot or an even lighter blue if it is cold. All of which is because of that dreadful— might I also add— deadly, pollution down on Earth. Yup, what scientists said that was going to happen, it happened.

The pollution from the major cities, such as Chicago and New York, got worse and spread the waste everywhere.  It caused the skies to become dark forever. Therefore, the governments gathered everyone from every continent on Earth and sent us upwards on Alversia ships. All the major companies in the world helped design and create these ships that we now live on. I've always wanted to know how they grouped everyone up. I guess whoever didn't get the memo were left for dead.

And so, the six Alversia ships were born. The Americas, Asia, Africa, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia now lived on individual ships, just like how they were back on Earth.

Ring! Ring! The alarm clock blared, causing me to jolt out of my bed and onto my feet.

Time to start the day.

After hitting the off button on the clock, I walked over to my bathroom and stared at my lone reflection in the stainless mirror.

"Boot up,” I ordered with a yawn. “Start morning routine." The corner of the mirror started to slide to the left, revealing a white laser pointer. I opened my mouth, the laser shooting out and cleaning my— as my mom claims— “perfect teeth that I got from her”. A panel from the ceiling slides out also, an extendable hand holding a brush and comb rushing to brush my black yet thick hair. However, not everything in my bathroom is automated. I snagged a washcloth from my rack and washed my face, looking at it periodically to see if it was clean. Have to look good for the ladies.

After doing some other things, I looked at my reflection once again. Much better.

I went to my rotating closet and looked for something to wear to school.

"Spin," I said, the closet twirling around to suggest a new wardrobe. I smiled and picked out a white Polo shirt with black jeans. I looked down to pick out my favorite shoes: my gray Nike sneakers. I don't really own Jordans and Adidas shoes anymore; they're actually kind of rare these days.

They both ran out of business in 2037, screeching production to a halt. My mom told me that everyone wore those shoes, that they were “fashion” back in her day. And I believe her.

Ever since then, Nike took over everything. They started making more cool stuff like never before, dropping the whole Jordan label all together.

I sighed and looked out the window, looking like it would be a good day to walk to school. I sneaked a peek at my clock.

6:15. I guess all of that thinking caught up to me. I headed out of my room, silently closing my door on the way out. I hope my parents weren’t awake.