» three: i need something, and it isn't you

thanks so much to @weary_ for this cover,and also being one of the first people i met on wattpad

and also being one of the first people i met on wattpad.

---

"So, I told everyone else to take the day off today, since I sort of want today to just be a one-on-one learning-slash-teaching day with you and me."

Oliver lead Holly out to the counter and gestured toward different parts of the store as he spoke. "We're a small store, so there's not much to it. It's sort of as you said," he said, flashing that smile that was a cross between I'm-a-god and I'm-your-friendly-neighborhood-welcome-committee-man-that-stops-by-every-house-and-gives-you-a-basket-of-pastries. "The cooler over there holds drinks, and if you see it start to empty, just go into the back room and grab some sodas from the fridge. There's also a vending machine out there, and there's a guy that comes by to take care of that, so don't worry about it. Unless it gets jammed. Just call me then; my number's posted in the back room as well."

He then took her to a little space behind the counter, and Holly nearly stopped breathing when she realized that they were probably sharing the same air. She wasn't usually this nervous around boys, since once her mom had made clear to her that she wasn't allowed to date until college, she didn't really see the point of even trying to attract them.

"We also sell hot dogs and ice cream here, and usually, people grab those on their own, so you're fine. You just have to ring them up. But when you see the freezer start to get empty or maybe there's only one hot dog left on the grill, you just grab a couple more from here." He bent down a little, unlocked a cabinet door, and revealed a small fridge, about the size of the freezer she had at home.

The hot dogs and the ice cream were separated neatly onto separate sides of the container - no doubt Oliver had organized them.

"You lock up your hot dogs and ice cream?" she asked in disbelief a moment later, when he stood back up.

He mistook her skepticism as an actual question. "Yes, we have to keep those at a certain temperature, so we can't have people opening and closing the door at the same time."

Before she could stop herself, she blurted out," But isn't that the point of, you know, the freezer?"

He shrugged and lead her back out. "Your main job really is to restock, basically. And just be a cashier."

"Cool."

Holly was getting more and more nervous by the minute. For the half and hour that she'd already been in the store, there hadn't been a single customer, so no distractions of any sort. How could she spend another hour, or even, an entire morning of Oliver if she was already a bundle of speechless nerves right now?

As if sensing the way she felt, being the perfect kind of guy he was, Oliver shot her another smile and said, "I'll just be in the back room. Call me if you need anything."

I need something, and trust me, it isn't you, it's ibuprofen. And Netflix. And maybe a therapist.

 And maybe a therapist