» twenty-one: the plan

"No. Absolutely not. No. No way. No way in hell."

Oliver strode forward until he was standing mere centimeters away from Holly. She held her breath, realizing they were now breathing the same air. She could feel the heat — and anger? — radiating off him.

He'd be a lot cheaper than a radiator on Amazon, Holly thought. The thought didn't make sense, but it did make her giggle.

Oliver looked at her, confused and stern. His eyes, grey today, bore straight through her.

"I'm going to do it, no matter how many ways you say no," she said, calmly. Holly didn't feel like she was in control of her body anymore. She felt like she was a spirit, floating above the two of them. She could see her own copper hair, dull and greasy in the harsh lighting. Oliver's adorkable glasses, splayed open on the white Rubbermaid table. Even the sad sign she'd put on the door (it was definitely past 10 minutes, she realized belatedly).

"No," Oliver said again. Gone were the puppy dog eyes. Gone were the soft smiles just for her.

But Holly suddenly felt like she didn't care. What she was doing was right. It felt right. She was going to help catch a criminal, and she wanted to sock him in the face when she caught him.

"I'm going to pretend to be drunk at Tiki Stands. He might show up if I do. I may not be as pretty as Sadie, but he might still take the bait if he sees a girl alone at night. But it'll be fine! I'll have Zara or Kaya watch from the distance, and they'll be ready to dial 911–"

"No!"

Holly almost jumped, and felt her ghost being sucked right back into her body. Oliver, shouting? Calm, steady, friendly Oliver shouting?

This is a milestone, she thought wryly.

"Why would you willingly put yourself into danger? Don't you know what he did to Sadie?"

He was still shouting, and seemed to have no regard for the fact that he was.

"I do know," Holly said, still calm. She felt so...Zen, at the moment. So at peace. She couldn't explain it, even though the idea seemed so horrible when Oliver said it like that.

"Then why?"

She kept her eyes on Oliver's. "I feel like I have to. If I don't, it'll be some other girl next. He won't stop until he's caught. We don't even know if Sadie was the first, and I'm scared and angry that she's probably not going to be the last."

"But aren't you scared that you're going to be next?" His eyes softened, and he reached out for her hand, clasping it lightly in his. He was pleading now.

Holly felt her heart tighten for a bit. Then she reminded herself that she wasn't special, and of course Oliver had the right to be concerned, and that concern wasn't because she was special.

"I'm not really scared. He might not even come after me because I'm so ugly," she said, shrugging.

Part of Holly really was worried that the rapist wouldn't see her as bait because she was so...she wasn't Sadie or anything like her, to put it simply. But she couldn't put another girl in danger, and she was really angry about what he'd done to Sadie. Holly wanted to be the one to put a dent in his face.

But all of a sudden, she couldn't remember if she was supposed to put her thumb inside or outside her fist when she punched someone. She'd had to watch Karate Kid tonight, to prepare. Or Google it.

"This isn't a joking matter, Holly."

Oliver ran a free hand through his hair. Then did it again. His hair was so messy and it looked so soft right now.

Holly stood up on her tip toes — she had to — and grabbed the hand, then brought it down to where his other hand was holding hers.

"I'm not joking," she said softly. "I'm serious."

"Well, I'm serious when I say I don't want you to do it."

His lips folded into tight creases, and his brow wrinkled with concern.

Holly wished she could iron out all his worries, but she knew she was causing it. But had also never been surer of herself in her life.

"Why?" was what she finally said.

It felt a bit like a challenge leaving her lips. Because what she'd really meant to say was, Why do you care?

Oliver opened his mouth. Closed it. Then opened it again. "Because I care," he said, a bit angrily. "Is that so wrong? Why are you always pushing me away? And why don't you care a little more about yourself?"

This time it was Holly's turn to look like a startled fish. She opened her mouth. Closed it.

"I don't mean to."

She wasn't sure which question she was answering. One of them? All of them?

Oliver sighed. He looked tired. And sad.

Holly felt hurt for having put that expression on his face. It felt a lot like kicking a puppy that was already down.

He rubbed his thumb in small circles, almost absentmindedly along Holly's hand. It felt like little lightning strikes along her skin.

"If you do this, you're fired," he said, finally.

"Oliver, I-"

Then she closed her mouth and left the store.

nooooo my babies are having a fight and they're not even a couple yet! *sets up a shrine to the #holliver gods*

what do you guys think is going to happen now? do you think holly's idea is a good one or is it completely and utterly idiotic?