» seventeen: that's all

The traffic wasn't helping.

Holly tapped at the wheel impatiently.

Tap tap tap. Taptaptaptaptaptap.

Her finger seemed to be going into overdrive.

"Hurry up," she said through gritted teeth. She was afraid that her confidence would desert her before she got to the shop, and then what? She'd be awkwardly standing in front of Oliver with nothing to say while he stared at her expectantly, and because he was too nice to think that she was wasting his time, he would probably casually glance at the time displayed on the cash register and mentally keep track of the minutes of silence between them.

Around 6:30, the roads finally cleared, and she nearly breezed through two red lights in her hurry. Only her wish to avoid points on her driving record and a hefty fine of some kind kept her from stepping on the accelerator. Also, Oliver probably wouldn't think much of her if she showed up with a pink slip peeking out of her pocket.

She arrived at The Cafe By The Sea by 7, and she was afraid that maybe the shop had closed or Oliver had gone home, but the lights were still on. She rushed in, relief propelling her through the door and all the way past the counter to the back room. She would have backpedaled then, sneaking back out to her car, because her courage and adrenaline had worn thin, but unfortunately (or fortunately), Oliver was standing by the door, on his phone.

He looked surprised to see her, but mouthed for her to Wait.

She nodded and stood aside, trying to not listen to the conversation he was having. Except it difficult, since the space between the door and the wall and where was standing was less than five feet.

"Sadie, I'll do whatever I can to help you. It's a promise."

A pause.

"I can go to-"

He was abruptly cut off, and even in his frustration, he was cute. His forehead was only the slightest bit wrinkled, and his lips were a little pursed, so they looked like a little pout, but instead of looking childish or strange, it only added to his adorableness.

He caught her looking and gave her a smile — not a thin one, but a smile that reached all the way to his eyes. It was small, but it was definitely visible, and Holly felt a flush creep up her neck. That smile, that smile was just for her, she knew.

Don't get cocky, her mind whispered.

But her heart was singing.

"I know." He raked his hand halfway through his hair, then left it at that as his hand dropped back down and into his pocket. "I know. I did promise. I'm sorry. Again."

He bit his lip, and Holly had to look away. It was hard to observe him, because she started to like him all the more. He was completely and totally unattainable, kiss or no kiss on the beach.

Suddenly, she wanted to leave. She didn't want to see something she couldn't have. Could never have.

She started to go, and turned around to mouth the words, Nevermind, I have to go, but he stepped forward and grabbed her arm.

One more second, he said to her with his eyes.

She stayed.

The phone call took another fifteen minutes, when Oliver profusely apologizing and promising to help in whatever way he could, though what he was helping in, he kept vague.

She asked to confirm after he slipped his phone back into his pocket. "Was that Sadie?"

He nodded, and ran his hand through his hair again. It was all tousled down, and Holly just wanted to reach up and smooth it over. Or mess it up even more. It didn't matter, she just wanted to touch it.

"She's not in a good situation," he said, sighing. "I promised I'd help her, but I realize that what I can do is..." he trailed off and his fingers flew up to his nose and made as if to scratch, but then he lowered his hand.

"Sorry, you didn't come here to hear my problems. And...it's not really my problem, so I can't say anymore."

"No, it's okay." Holly tried her best to put on a bright and hopefully reassuring smile. But it was difficult, since it seemed that Oliver didn't trust her enough to confide in her.

She definitely didn't want to be here now. She didn't even know what to say anymore. She definitely couldn't tell him how she felt or anything even remotely close.

"So, what are you here for?" he asked, curiously, smiling invitingly.

Holly frantically searched for a reason. "I, u-um, I guess...I was hear to talk about my shifts!" she blurted out.

"What about them?" Did his smile seem a little less bright?

"I-I-I was wondering if I could get a few more," she continued.

His eyebrows lifted slightly. "Really? Like, after school starts?"

"Um, yea, I think so."

He turned to the back room and gestured for her to follow him. He lead her to a calendar and gestured to spots with orange marker. "You have shifts until the beginning of August, so if you want a few more, it'll extend into the beginning of the school year." His voice was pitched a little higher at the end, as if he were questioning her.

"Yea, that's fine."

Inside, she was screaming at both herself and Oliver.

What am I doing?!

Why can't you see that I like you? I just want to spend more time with you! Ever since I met you, I have wanted more hours in the day, I have wanted more minutes in an hour, more seconds in a minute, I have always just wanted more time with you.

"Is that all?"

Holly was torn between shaking her head and nodding.

She finally just nodded.

"Yea. That's all."