Chapter 9

Inaya read the message and felt so uncertain on what to reply or whether to reply at all. After continuous overthinking, she decided to not reply. I can't think of a good reply so might as well not reply at all before I perform another blunder. She thought to herself.

*********

7 days later

Ahsan was discharged from the hospital a few days ago, and recovered really well. He was back to his normal happy and exciting self. He was incredibly awaiting to start his course at university. There were only a few weeks left before the classes officially began but the taster week was starting in a week. He couldn't wait to get to UCL and experience the life at university. He was going through the modules he chose for his first year in the course booklet he got through the post earlier that morning: Shakespearean England, Victorian Britain and Literature, American Post-Feminism literature, and Middle Eastern Cultural Literature.

Aliya knocked on the door and walked in with a big smile on her face seeing her brother so well and happy.
"Hmm, module booklet, seems like someone is really excited for university."

"Yes, I am, these modules are so interesting, oh Aliya, I cannot wait to study them." Ahsan's eyes lit up with the idea of studying literature. He loved the subject to the core.

"I can tell. I am happy to see you happy." Aliya smiled.
"Wait, did you know that Inaya is doing English Literature at UCL too?"

Ahsan was reading his booklet while Aliya said this but then he immediately gave her a confused look and said: No? How would I know?

"Oh I thought she may have told you. Anyways yeah she is doing literature. She seems really excited for it too."

"Aah nice one." Ahsan's lips curled into a smile.

***********

"Shakespearean England, Victorian Britain and Literature, American Post-Feminism literature, and Middle Eastern Cultural Literature" Dr Qadir was reading the course booklet Inaya received from the university and praised her choice of modules. Despite Dr Qadir was a doctor, he loved English Literature.
"These sound so interesting Inaya, I am sure you are going to love these when you study them in breadth with all the literature." Dr Qadir appeared to have been more excited than Inaya.

Inaya Giggled. "Thankyou Abu, I am so excited. Can't wait for the taster sessions next week. Already waiting to make new friends."

"Always remember my princess that you will meet all sorts of people there, some who you will get along with and some you maybe won't. But those who you do find to be friendly, make sure they are honest and loyal to you and that you are honest and loyal to them. Good friends are Allah's blessings and if one finds them, they should always protect that friendship from every harm."

"Yes Abu, Thankyou."

Dr Qadir's advice always encouraged Inaya, it gave her strength, motivation and lots of inspiration. She would feel incredibly confident after speaking to her father. He would uplift her and guide her about the future. His reassurance that he is always there to help, support and she should never hesitate to talk to him or her mother about anything gave Inaya a sense of freedom and connection with her parents. She felt that she could tell them everything and anything and they would help without judging her. That's how parents are right. She thought and smiled.

*********
1 week later
Today was the first taster session at university and Inaya was up early, on time, ready to set off as soon as she finished her cup of milk. Sania would never allow Inaya, Umair or Saad to leave the house hungry, especially in the morning.

Inaya gave her parents a tight hug, received their prayers and wishes and left for her first unofficial day at university.

********

Ahsan was lucky enough to catch the underground departing at 7:43 to London Euston. The tube was jam packed with people as London in the rush hour appears unbelievably chaotic. He managed to find a seat  though and he started reading online news on his phone until he realised that the person he was sat next to was listening to extremely loud music and he couldn't concentrate  on his reading. What he found fascinating was that in the crowded tube full of noise, he was able to hear the music. She is reading AND listening to music. Ahsan was getting irritated.

"Excuse me, please could you—"

The look of confusion turned to the look of shock when the girl looked towards Ahsan and it turned out to be Inaya Qadir.

"Umm, what were you saying? Please complete your sentence."

"Oh, no I wasn't saying anything. I didn't know you travel to Euston too."

"How would you know? I never told you?"

Ahsan raised his eyebrows but then his tense expression broke into a smile just because of the look Inaya gave him, he couldn't help but smile. What is she even? He thought to himself before asking her more questions.

"Yeah true, so how are you?"

"I am good, what about you? How's your health?"

"It's better, much better Alhamdulilah. Don't you think so?" Ahsan's look was genuinely questioning Inaya.

"Yeah, you definitely look much better. MashAllah." Inaya looked at her book and smiled a little but Ahsan still caught a glimpse of it.

"Where are you heading to so early morning?" Ahsan attempted to continue the conversation but only after he asked, he remembered that Aliya told him about Inaya going to UCL too, but he let Inaya respond.

"University. My taster sessions start today. Wait, Aliya told me you applied to UCL too, means you are...?"

"Yeah I will be your class fellow, fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you see it." He winked and smiled.

"Why does it depend on me, by all means do what you love. Anyways, shall we stand up, its our stop next." Inaya suddenly stopped speaking after she said this. "Our" since when, urgh Inaya you are such an idiot. But at the same time she tried to control her smile because regardless of these unintended spoken words, she didn't regret saying them for some reason.

Ahsan smiled bright and looked at Inaya straight in her eyes, she looked back and Ahsan saw something he wasn't expecting on her face, a glowing blush.

On their walk to university together, they didn't speak much but both of them walked thinking and debating to themselves on whether they were heading towards a friendship they never thought they would have.

***********