Chapter 15

Sunday was never Ahsan's favourite day, but now after his mother's demise, he felt everything around him became monotonous by the time it was Sunday since everyone had got so busy with their lives.

Colonel Hussain got himself a voluntary part-time job with a charity that works for the British Army's retired or off-duty soldiers. Mustafa was busy with his job at the school and Aliya was in her final year of school sitting her GCSE exams. Life in London is busy for all but for the Colonel and his family, it became even busier as they tried to recover from the grief that had hit them. Like every Sunday, the family didn't do anything new or different, it was the same only family breakfast, lunch and then everyone back to their rooms.

To Ahsan's surprise, this Sunday was going to be different when he received a call from Inaya.

"Assalam o Alaikum Mr, where are you these days? It's been whole 2 days since you messaged, called or met. What's up?"

Ahsan giggled slightly before speaking, "Walaikum Assalam, I was at home like I always am and we are going to meet tomorrow at university anyway so it's all good no?"

"Well no its not good, lets meet up today, I have something to tell you".

"Umm, this sounds so ambiguous Inaya but sure thing, see you soon!"

***********

Starbucks was Ahsan and Inaya's favourite cafe and almost all of their meetings during university hours or on weekends would take place there.

"Coffee and a talkative afternoon with Ahsan is the best kind of Sunday" said Inaya as she placed her coffee on the table her and Ahsan were sitting on.

"Thank You Very Much! I am honoured Miss Qadir". Ahsan said passing a smile to Inaya.

"Now tell me, what did you want to say."

"Baba came to talk to me yesterday and he told me about his sister who lives in Canada and has an established business. She is offering me a job at her company for a 3 year contract to help me with my professional and independent skills. I--"

"What did you say then?" Ahsan interrupted.

"I didn't say anything yet. I am so confused. I am double minded, I want to complete my degree first but the job she is offering me will be the best one for experience. I mean I can always come back to university after, there is no age limit to that. But to be honest, I don't really know".

There was a sudden tension taking over Ahsan. His smile faded and he was looking around the cafe as if he was searching for something himself.

"Ahsan, help me. I can't decide. What do you think I should do? Apart from everyone around me, I could only think of you who could help me and advise me in the best way."

Ahsan couldn't form words to speak as much as he tried to. He couldn't understand why he was behaving with such confusion and tension. "I... I ... umm, I don't know what to say Inaya. I guess it's your life, I don't want to influence your decision. It is a difficult choice to make but I know whatever you will choose, you will succeed in it".

Deep down his heart, he was hating himself for saying out these words, Ahsan Hussain was very clear in his mind and heart that he didn't want Inaya to leave but he kept his opinion to himself in case it discourages Inaya in any way. After all, Inaya's happiness mattered to him more than his own.

Hearing Ahsan's reply, Inaya felt disappointed, before she could say anything back, Ahsan stood up and walked out alone without saying anything to Inaya. She was confused and shocked at what he had just done. She felt as if she has given him a problem to worry about when he is so troubled already. She was blaming herself for his irritated response.