Chapter 20

"Our meeting in the afternoon was scheduled anyway at office, so how come this urgent one? Is everything okay?" Matt seemed concerned, Inaya wouldn't shock like this with urgent meet ups, she wasn't like that anymore since she came to Canada.

"I have something to talk to you about."

"Yeah, I am listening."

"I know this was a while ago but I have been thinking about what you said to me about us giving our relationship a chance and I gave you my answer right there but now maybe I have started to think otherwise. I don't know how else to put this Matt but it is true that we have known each other since I came here and you have been an honest and constant support to me and I appreciate that. Maybe, this new step is the way forward?"

Inaya had a questioning look on her face as if she didn't know the answer herself.

"Why do I think that you don't know yourself and you are deep inside hoping for me to give you an answer? Inaya, don't force yourself to think a certain way. I haven't talked to you about this since then because I completely respect your will so what has made you rethink on this?"

"I don't know! I want to move on with life. Moving to Canada was a move not just difficult but also stressful. I wanted to escape from many things, my feelings, my emotions, my fears and most of all my dear ones. Now that my escape worked out, I want to move on. I am at a stage where I am over what happened in my past and I want to look ahead only."

"The love for Ahsan is what you wanted to escape and you managed to by moving here. Nothing else, but Ahsan only."

Matt's words hit her strong and she was suddenly shocked at how he remembered everything she told him initially when they became friends.

"Don't you think our friendship hasn't changed alittle in the past two years. It took us not even a month and then we became the closest friends to each other. We shared everything about our lives to each other and you think my feelings only developed a few month ago? When you told me that you loved Ahsan, I decided to not share my feelings with you because clearly you were escaping love not Ahsan so I also didn't want to be your reason of escape. I only shared my feelings for you now because time had past and you didn't speak to me about Ahsan the way you used to, so I attempted talking to you, you weren't so convinced so I didn't force you. I won't force you today either. Before anything else Inaya, I am your best friend. Remember that. Always."

When Inaya and Matt became friends, she told him everything about Ahsan. Apart from Matt, there wasn't anyone else who got to know that Inaya did have feelings for Ahsan but felt too scared to admit them. Canada as an opportunity came as an escape route for her at that right moment and she didn't let it go. It gave her an excuse to reject not Ahsan's love but her own.

Now that Matt was able to guess that Inaya is rushing her decision, he put everything straight to her so she doesn't take a wrong decision. His words were making her weak because he was saying the truth. Tears in her eyes were making her vision blurry and Matt could see it. After moments of silence, Inaya gathered courage to speak.

"This... this is all- this is all irrelevant. I am talking to you about today. About us. Why are you bringing Ahsan in all this? Yeah I had feelings for him but I have moved on in life. I am honestly considering your idea and I want to give it all a chance. I want your support and you are withdrawing it from me when I need it the most."

"I will never withdraw my support for you, in whatever you do. I just don't want you to commit yourself to something you don't necessarily want to do. Think about it again Inaya. Don't rush it. I can wait for you. If I didn't rush it two years ago, I won't rush it this time either!"

His assuring look gave Inaya confidence and then she spoke: "I want to give this a chance. I want to know what you think?"

"If you want to, then yes I can support you in giving this a go."

As subtle as it was, both Inaya and Matt agreed to commit each other in a relationship. Both didn't know how it was going to move forward but Inaya at first was not keen on telling her family back in London. She just wanted to see how things adjust first and Matt didn't mind that.

*******

"So how's job hunting Mr?" A voice came from the back of the room, it was Mustafa checking on his brother and what he is planning to do ahead after his graduation.

"Well, I have to be honest. Its poor right now." Ahsan broke into a laughter and Mustafa joined.

"I was researching, there are international vacancies available in Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, a few in Australia and also in Cana-...Canada."

"Hmm Canada! Why don't you try there? You Inaya - the reunion!" Mustafa smiled but Ahsan didn't buy the idea.

"Where's Baba?"

"He is downstairs in his room, he was feeling tired so having some rest in his room. But don't avoid my suggestion: Canada is a good option. Maybe Inaya might be able to sponsor you? No?"

"I don't want to leave my family alone unlike her. I will try a few more places here otherwise Australia or Switzerland would be nice."

"Urm. Okay. You are contradicting yourself so you clearly don't know an answer to my question. Instead you are just covering up but okay, I won't force you. Take your time. These are difficult decisions to make!"

"Yes Yes I know!"

Ahsan didn't tell anyone at home on what had happened between him and Inaya. Ahsan's confession was a secret between Ahsan Inaya and Matt only and ironically enough Ahsan wasn't aware of that either.

******

It was a rainy weekend in London, winds, thunderstorms once in a while and continuous unstoppable rain. Ahsan sat near his room window to look at the rain that fell on window glass. These little details of life were beginning to have an impact on him. Then he began to think of what Mustafa suggested earlier on moving to Canada. Reunion with Inaya. Ahsan had a tough time in the two years to adjust without Inaya but he too had moved on. So he was quick to let go of this thought that he wants to go near Inaya again.

At times he thought to ask Saad or Umair for her contact number but then he didn't. He would always think about their last meeting which was the time when he confessed his love and she was angry. He didn't know how she would react to his contact so fearing another painful reluctance from Inaya, he never tried.

******

"Rice and stir fried vegetables! Simple but a special lunch! Your chef at service Miss Qadir!" As Inaya opened the door, Matt entered stating this.

She had invited him for lunch and both decided to cook together. Then the plan was to watch a movie together and then end the afternoon with a business-like meeting but at home so work wasn't ignored. Inaya and Matt, both were serious with work and they certainly never compromised at it.

After the movie, at Inaya's apartment balcony, both sat down to discuss work and the new project both were working on. Inaya brought all the paper work. She was satisfied and convinced being with Matt and at times she felt she made the right decision. Though she wasn't fully ready to admit whether she was happy with him too but she didn't let it show.

While they worked, Inaya went to prepare some coffee and her phone was on the table where Matt and her were working on the balcony. Her phone rang and it was a number with England's call code. Matt asked Inaya to get her phone so she can take the call but she instead asked him to take  it for her as she finished making coffee. As Matt picked up, a voice came through:

"Inaya, this is Ahsan."

"Hello."