Chapter 11

"How was your day my love?" Sania inquired in excitement.

"It was okay." Inaya mildly said and walked to her room.

"Inaya—"

"She doesn't seem well to me."

"It's all good, relax Sania, it was her first day, she was never going to find it the best, college to university is a big jump. Give her time to settle in." Dr Qadir reassured her.

*******

You feeling okay? A text message notification popped on Inaya's phone. It was from Ahsan.

I am fine? No I am not? I guess? Inaya was unsure on what to reply. Ahsan's support earlier really comforted her but by no means she had forgotten about what had happened. Amidst her confusion, another text came through: Seenzoning means a yes or no? Inaya smiled reading the message.

"Welcome to Ahsan's world. His favourite thing 24/7: attempts to tease me."

I am fine. Thankyou. She wasn't. She didn't want to concern him so she replied this.

Oh, so that means you definitely aren't fine because your use of fullstops suggest exhaustion. Wait I am going to call you to check if you are okay.

"Hello, Miss Qadir, how may I help you today?"

Inaya giggled and responded: "you are the one who called and you are acting like I called you."

"Well Miss Qadir, from your messages and now your voice I anticipate that you aren't feeling the best that's why I offered help."

How did he get this?! Inaya began to think and then Ahsan spoke again: "Hello? Hello, knock knock, anyone there? By the way Inaya, you are so boring. Someone is trying to cheer you here."

Inaya was smiling while Ahsan spoke but she couldn't find words to say something back. Finally she spoke:
"No I am not being boring, I am grateful for your support, it's just taking me time to adjust with it all. Honestly thanks."

"Yeah Yeah I get it. I think another grumpy professor will make you realise my importance and efforts that I am attempting to make my friend happy."

Inaya burst into a loud laughter that even Sania in her room heard in shock and walked to Inaya's room to check. "You okay?"

"Yes Yes Ami, just talking to a friend." Inaya reassured her mother with a smile.

"Oh great. Carry on." Sania said as she walked out.

"I will see you tomorrow Ahsan, I am going to try and sleep."

"Allah Hafiz."

*******

Another day, another tube, but the same destination and the same usual London crowd taking over the trains, platforms, pathways during the rush hour in the morning. The sun was out shining bright, spreading it's warmth to the atmosphere. There was something about this city Inaya was obsessed with. The overcrowding rush hours, the noise, the tubes, the buildings, there was something that always mesmerised her, brightened her eyes whenever she went out walking around Central London.

While she was sat in the tube, only then she realised that Ahsan hadn't joined her today and neither did he say what time he would set off for. Why am I curious to know? She thought to herself. He will come whenever he wants to. Inaya persuaded herself and started reading the book she always brought whenever she travelled by tube so she could pass time.

******

"She is critical. Well very critical but we are trying and doing our best. We will keep her under observation until there are signs of improvement." The Doctor explained and then walked back to the ward to treat other patients.

"Abu, Allah will help, don't lose hope. We all need you to be strong and brave. Ami is strong, she will recover from this. I know she will." Ahsan shed a tear as he said this.

As soon after Inaya and Ahsan ended their call last night, Aliya screamed Ahsan's name. Firdous was having a heart attack and in shock Aliya couldn't do much but scream for help. Mustafa and Colonel Hussain were out for walk so Ahsan and Aliya had to take Firdous to hospital that very moment when the ambulance arrived. Aliya called Mustafa afterwards to ask him to come to hospital with Hussain.

Ahsan didn't realise that he had to call his tutor to let him know why he couldn't come to university. Amidst all of this crisis, he completely forgot about that and it was evening now.

******

Ahsan, where are you? Everything okay? You didn't come to university either and didn't even update why. What's up. I was worried. Ahsan's phone vibrated with a new text message.

He sighed. It was Inaya. He was so exhausted and tired after that morning that he couldn't find the strength to reply. But he forced himself to type a message because at the same time he understood that she was genuinely concerned.

Ami had a cardiac arrest last night so had to rush her to hospital. Been here all last night and all day today. It was all so sudden I couldn't remember to do anything else. Sorry.

Inaya was shocked and deeply moved reading his reply. Ya Allah, I hope she recovers very soon. If you need any help, please let me know. Stay strong.

Before Ahsan could reply, he felt a hand on his shoulder. It was the doctor. He immediately got up his chair, Mustafa, Aliya and Hussain came closer and attentively watched the doctor speak.

"I am sorry Ahsan, I am really sorry..."

Ahsan's body suddenly went loose and he lost control of himself. He kept uttering: "No. No...."

"I am sorry, she is no more."

******

Feedback time please! Hope you liked this!