Chapter 21

The moment of silence was difficult to adjust with for Ahsan. The male voice on Inaya's phone struck him even when it was only a "hello" and they didn't continue talking. Before one of the two could speak further, Ahsan heard a familiar voice in the background: "here's the coffee Matt, did you check my phone who called?"

Matt cancelled the call to avoid more awkwardness and on answering Inaya's question he claimed that he didn't know who called as no one spoke from the other end so he ended the call. "I couldn't hear anyone from the other side. Who knows who was it!"

"Ah, maybe a wrong number then. Anyways enjoy the coffee. I have tried making it with a different flare this time."

"Miss Qadir can never go wrong, I admit!"

"Thankyou Matt!"

"Please pass me my phone, let's have a look who called."

"Do it some other time, right now its our time."

Inaya shot him one of her most confused looks. Matt was never like this, he never tried to overpower her friendship but she felt as if he tried to do that just now. For that moment, she compromised and avoided it.

"Yeah okay!"

*********

'How come she forgot me so soon? Does she not even remember me as a friend anymore? 2 years and how far she has moved on that now she has another man in her life who she priortises over everything else.' Ahsan was cursing himself for the way he always kept a part of his heart for Inaya that now when he knows she has so moved on, he is shattered again. He felt as if his little final bit of hope of reconciliation has broken into tiny pieces too. A drop of tear fell off his eye and he was quick to wipe it off to gain back his strength.

"If she is over me, then I am over her too! Inaya was once part of my life." He said to himself in annoyance and grief. I have my life and I am now going to prioritise it."

His phone rang with an upcoming call and to much of his surprise, it was Inaya's number. She was calling in to check who it was. Ahsan couldn't decide whether to take the call but his anger had done the damage. He left the phone ringing in his room and went out to take his father for a walk.

"Baba let's go for a walk! Its been a while since I took you out."

"Is everything okay? How come so sudden?"

"Colonel Hussain, you and I need a breath of fresh air! No more ifs and buts and hows and whats, lets go for a walk. Okay Colonel?" He passed a teasing smile to his aging father.

Colonel smiled back and said "Roger Boss! Let's go!"

*********

Inaya kept trying to call back at that unknown number trying to figure out who had called. But Ahsan deliberately ignored her. For a few days Inaya left the matter but then she tried calling again and again. For some reason her heart wasn't at peace knowing someone called and now she can't reach that person in any way. Many unknown calls would come, she would avoid or miss many but she wouldn't care. Missing this one was making her feel restless. When she was at work all day, when she was trying to sleep or when she was meeting Matt, her mind constantly fell back on the phone call and that unknown number and Matt's confused face when he called off. It was annoying her that she is unable to reach that person.

Who was it? Why did Matt seem so panicked and confused when he ended the call as I entered. What made him do it?
These thoughts kept crossing her mind. She couldn't just get over them and it was now beginning to frustrate her.

********

Four weeks later
"Right, I know whoever this person is, I have bombarded them with phone calls few weeks ago but in the past few weeks I didn't call once. Now I will try it for the last time and if they don't respond then whoever he/she is, I will block them!"