Trust

Kara could feel the fury raging through her system when she no longer felt the need to deactivate her temperature meter despite the cold. A volcanic eruption of emotions was making her judgment go haywire. This deviant hunter had managed to trick her and she was so foolish for believing anything that came out of his mouth. Of course, he was a liar - he literally spent his entire 'life' with the humans, so he was just like them. Deceitful. But Alice clearly didn't seem to think so. Every time Kara would find herself distracted by the frightening bolts of lightning Alice would be sitting next to him. The weather reminded her of Todd who felt like a distant memory now, but his cruel words and attacks still fresh like yesterday. She shivered in her black blouse and finally decided to deactivate her temperature meter.

A quick glance at Alice trembling next to the injured android showed that she was absolutely soaked. The rain was pouring hard and fast and Alice needed to be sheltered immediately. She did not come all this way saving Alice from so many perils only to let her succumb to the cold. And they needed to leave this place too. No doubt, the android's partner would be sending more humans after them if he had managed to live. She shivered again at the memory of Luther and how fragile Alice looked in his hands and caught Connor's eyes. He stared at her with a mix of uncertainty and curiosity and she quickly turned away. How long had he been staring at her? The thought made her feel vulnerable and she quickly walked to Alice's side, ignoring him completely.

She spoke serenely in a hypnotizing manner that had Connor entranced. "Alice, we need to leave now." She touched the child's frail arms and felt them quiver under her hands. Kara felt her heart sink when Alice raised her pale face to meet her eyes.

"Kara, I am really cold." She whispered. But her words were loud and clear - she wasn't just cold. She was cold enough to die. Kara recognized the implication in her words and stood up fast, surprising the child and the android. She needed to find help fast and waiting here for it to come was no longer an option. This was a secluded road, but she was sure that if she walked a little further on, she could hitch a driverless taxi. But she needed to be fast.

"Alice! I am going to get help!" Kara exclaimed making sure Alice understood her words. When the child nodded weakly, she turned to glare towards the android who was still watching her. She almost wanted to look away, but he had to know that she was dead serious. "I swear to God if I come back here and you have done anything to hurt her, I will fucking kill you. At that point, I won't care if I am reset again or dismantled."

Connor saw the graveness in her dull blue eyes fade when she turned to stare at the deserted road. The fear returned back in full force and before she could walk away, he grabbed her small palm. She leaped at the contact and her hand almost left him, but he clutched tight. The difference in size was palpable, but her hands were worryingly cold, unlike the last time she had initiated contact. Had she lost a lot of blood that her biocomponents were no longer functioning properly? He allowed his hold to become slightly gentle, but still firm.

"What are you doing?!" Kara cried, twisting her hand harshly, her sharp nails stabbing his skin like little needles. It was hardly painful, only frustrating that she wanted to break contact so desperately. A sense of loneliness struck him at this, but he decided to speak before she became completely hysterical.

"Take this." He handed her a wallet from his uniform and she stared at it stunned. Why on Earth was he helping her when they were enemies? She looked up from the brown wallet to find him already looking at her and when she opened her mouth to speak, he simply said. "I do not want the child to die."

Kara pursed her lips in defeat and turned away from him, snatching her hand away from his. Once again, he felt lost without it and it took him a while before he retracted his own hand which stood empty in midair. He watched her console the child in her soft voice and finally disappear from sight. For the first time, he wished for someone to be safe. He wished for her safety.