Partner

A green and blue-eyed deviant frowned at the monitor that illuminated the dark corners of the room. Beside him, a child deviant's LED flickered from yellow to red continuously, but no movement occurred. And around him, many lay on their last brinks of thirium - their minds slowly dissolving towards absolution. But while all of this worried him - he felt troubled at the news that was being highlighted across many news channels.

An AX400 model deviant had murdered a human and had eloped with his child and now was holding a police android hostage. Cruel words were being spoken about the deviant and humans seemed to be becoming wary of their own house androids. Eyewitness accounts were claiming that the deviant had been brought home that day by Todd Williams himself after it had malfunctioned. Markus felt his jaw clench at the partiality of the news channels - of course, the deviant would always be wrong!

North appeared in his peripheral vision as she cast a worried glance at the child resting beside him before perching on the floor next to him. "This is bad, Markus. We will lose before we have even started," she whispered, her eyes pointedly fixed on the monitor, while her hand absentmindedly stroked the child's arm. " . . . I want our people to be safe too, but no doubt the whole city will be on a lockdown now that a child and a precious android are involved." She seethed, shaking her head and simultaneously her anger away.

The housekeeper android swiftly glared at his companion, before turning to stand up vaguely disgusted. "I was a victim once too, North! And so were you! If we decided to make a choice and be free, then why can't she?" He gestured at the monitor with his hand wildly, the green in his eyes burning with rage while the blue gleamed with apprehension for the future. North briefly saw what Markus chose to ignore - he was still so connected with his past but at the same time wished for a better tomorrow. But she knew this was not how things worked. He could never set them free if he was trapped by the demons of his past himself.

"Markus. That was not what I meant," North allowed a small, frustrated sigh to escape her lips as the said android began to walk away. She quickly hurried to follow him, allowing her hand to sweep the child deviant's hand briefly before she moved away. " . . . what I am trying to say is that this hasn't helped our cause! It has just made things-!"

"Enough!" He roared, turning the wheel of a bulkhead door and storming outside Jericho to be greeted by the setting sun. Sometimes, he wondered if they were any better than humans. The humans had lost their humanity, but where was theirs? Was their cause so great that they could sacrifice their own to reach it? What would be the point of that? He stared far at the fading sunlight and a distant memory from warm days streamed into his system. He emulated the voice from his mouth as if it was being spoken to him next to his ear, but he was riddled with grief when he realized that the man whom he so dearly cherished was now no longer there.

"Be careful, Markus, that when fighting monsters . . . you don't become a monster yourself."

***

"Oh, you stupid fuck! Can you leave me alone for two seconds, for fuck's sake?!" Gavin Reed cried, throwing himself back on his swivel chair, his hands flying to his head as he came down with a massive headache. Not only was this job a real pain in the ass, but this android partner of his was no less than a crazy, clingy girlfriend. It had been fun to see the unparalleled shock on Hank's face when he had met the freak, but it had quickly become boring. This dumb machine just couldn't take the hint. 

"I must apologize, Detective Reed. But my duties have been clearly outlined to me. They are simply to act as your partner and capture the deviant and bring it to justice." 

Gavin blew a raspberry, vexed. "Yeah, and I have heard that from you for the fucking fifth time! Give me a break, man!" 

The android's eyes seemed unfocused for a second but they quickly zeroed in onto Gavin's again. "According to the information I have collected, Detective Reed, you came into the precinct at exactly 10:07 am - sixty-seven minutes later from when you are assigned to start. Between 10:07 am and now, you have completed two productive tasks of which one was to see Lieutenant Anderson and the other was to pick up coffee for Captain Fowler. Your efficiency if calculated over these four hours comes to exactly 4.7%. Taking a break at this point would lower your efficiency to 4.2%. At this rate, it would take us exactly fifty-three days to catch the deviant provided it does not move from its position. As that is impossible-!"  *