Halfway

Jericho had become a turbulent place in the last few hours after the broadcast at Stratford Tower. North had not been happy with Markus' decision to send out a peaceful message and the police had become agitated with the rising deviancy and the fact that their most advanced police android was still in the possession of a deviant and had been caught in a rather questionable position with her. In retaliation, they had dispatched another new Connor model - RK900. The fact that there were three Connor androids now did not sit well with the timid deviants at Jericho. Many of them were now scared of confronting the humans as now the most advanced android was not on their side, but on the side of the enemy.

"This was such a big mistake!" North hissed to Simon, her eyes narrowed and a violent fire brewing within her brown depths. Josh almost wanted to step out of the room, but he knew Simon was easily impressionable and he absolutely did not want North upping her support. Violence was never the answer and Markus had seen that - this was the reason why Josh had found hope in him.

When Simon failed to respond - instead choosing to stare at the cracks on the floor, he found himself stepping forward. "How the hell were we supposed to know that they had a better android than their previous one?"

She swung around violently, her brown hair becoming more disarrayed with her mood. "You! I do not want to hear anything from you! It's because of you that Markus refuses to see reason! You are too scared to fight for your freedom - to die for your freedom! And if you aren't willing to die for it, maybe you do not deserve it!"

"North, please." Simon placated, stepping between the two and gently edging him away from her. What Simon couldn't appease was the immutable hatred between the two - he and North had never seen eye to eye from the start. But he had always given her the benefit of her circumstances - she had been a sex slave to humans, while he had led a more lucrative career - except he had not been paid, but had been given an infinite amount of resources to expand his mind. Studying through the history books had given him a vision - he had seen that humans too had been victims in the past. And even today, to an extent everyone was a victim of the one who controlled the power, but he doubted that North would ever understand his vision. When would she understand that this wasn't about her personal revenge, but for the welfare of the androids as a whole?

"Simon, you have to choose right now," She declared, touching said android's shoulder with enough seriousness that the level of tension increased incrementally with every word she spewed. ". . . you and I and a small group of androids who clearly see sense . . ." she stopped to exaggerate the word and passed a fleeting glare in his direction. " . . . we can go and neutralize the deviant and return that stupid android of theirs and the child too! It's the only way!"

"What?" Josh cried, pushing an equally shocked Simon out of the way who had frozen at her words. He was horrified at her suggestion and clearly so was his fair-minded companion. "Not only are you showing signs of a mutiny against Markus' decision, you would also recommend killing one of our own?!"

"Mutiny?" She guffawed at him, her eyes perpetually sad while her actions continued to show a personal vendetta against the humans. "Look around, Josh! It's not just me - so many of us are against Markus' decision! Violence is in their genes - they would never negotiate with us peacefully! You and Markus are wasting everyone's time!"

"Will you two just stop it?" A voice yelled from the doorway and all three of them jumped at the sight of him. And as he began to stride in, they all stepped back from their hostile stances, their LED's dancing red brightly for a concluding time before it simmered down to a peaceful blue. The heterochromatic android scrutinized all of them with a mix of derision and despondency. His eyes spoke so much to him in that instant that Josh found himself shielding his eyes from the raw sentiment Markus always seemed to display. There was a hidden knowledge within their leader that all of his own expertise in understanding the world fell flat on its face. Markus saw something, felt something that they could only speculate about. And this is what many androids worshipped - if there was a rA9, then Josh had not the slightest bit of doubt that it was Markus.