A Chance to Help

Kya sat on the edge of Lin’s hospital bed and gently took the sleeping woman’s hand in her’s. Lin seemed so small and vulnerable just lying there, which was in stark contrast to her normal hard steely self. Kya’s blue eyes studied Lin’s face for a few moments, watching her sleep. To Kya, Lin had always been beautiful, if not more so after all these years. She was tall, fit, muscular, that porcelain skin, those emerald eyes, her steel gray hair, and that badass scar. But she was more than just that to Kya. To her, Lin was also charming, kind, protective, thoughtful, and selfless. Kya was lost in thought as she gazed down at Lin, her eyes unfocused.

“What do you want, Kya,” Lin said softly, bringing her out of her reverie. Lin’s eyes were still closed, but her eyebrows had descended into a small frown.

“Can’t a girl come visit her friend?” Kya asked lightly.

Lin opened her eyes and glared at the other woman. “What do you want?” she repeated.

Kya smiled down at the frowning Lin and reached out with her other hand, smoothing out her eyebrows. “You shouldn’t frown so much, Lin.” Then her hand moved to brush a small stray hair back from Lin’s forehead. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m fine,” Lin said automatically, turning her face away.

Kya’s hand gently pushed it back, though Lin’s eyes were still turned away. She stroked her hair gently with her thumb. “But you’re not fine, Lin. That’s what worries me.”

“Don't you have other people to heal?”

“Only you,” Kya said and gently squeezed Lin’s hand. “But it’ll be hard, if you don’t let me help you.”

“I said I’m fine,” Lin said in a harder tone, but it cracked with the last word. She closed her eyes and drew her hand away.

“Fine, my ass,” Kya muttered and she reached toward a bowl of water, bending it to her. She applied the healing energy to Lin’s chest.

Lin let out a rough sigh of relief.

“See?” Kya teased gently as she bent the water back into the bowl. “Now will you let me help you?”

Lin opened her eyes again and looked at Kya, emerald eyes searching. “I don't want to be here, Kya. I want to go home.”

“If I brought you home, would you let me help you?” Kya asked gently.

Lin couldn't bring herself to actually ask for help, but her eyes were pleading.

Kya understood. She knew Lin would never actually voice her plea, even if she knew she needed it. “Lin, promise me,” she pressed.

Lin met the water bender’s eyes and gave her a small nod.

Kya bent a softly kissed the earth bender’s lips and rose. “Sleep now. I'll be back for you.”

Lin was too shocked and confused to say anything in reply. She turned her head to watch Kya leave the room. What the spirits was that? How was she supposed to sleep with her mind reeling in confusion. Kya was weird, but she'd never done anything like that before, or at least not around Lin.

Kya couldn’t help but grin when she turned away. She’d actually done it! She had kissed Lin Beifong! Kya didn't dare turn back or give Lin time any time to process what had just happened. She let out a sigh when she was out of earshot of the room. She’d pay for it later, though, she knew, but she’d take it one moment at a time. Lin was worth the wait.