Watching From Afar

Katara embraced her daughter with a warm hug and smile and Kya returned both. They stood on the docks of the island, airbenders flitted past them in short bursts of wind, tossing their hair and clothes about them.

"Where's Lin?" Katara asked.

"She's at work right now, but she'll be over as soon as she's done," Kya explained.

Katara nodded. "Let's go somewhere less breezy," she said as she tossed her long braid back over her shoulder.

Kya readily agreed and the two waterbenders made their way up to the kitchens. Katara had already made tea and handed the younger woman a steaming cup. Kya gratefully accepted it and sipped at the hot liquid for a few moments before looking back up to her mother. Katara was watching her with a small smile.

Kya raised an eyebrow as she lowered the cup from her lips. "Yes?"

"I'm just happy you found someone," Katara said.

"About that," Kya frowned and folded her arms in front of her. "Why did you announce it to everyone that it was me seeing Lin?"

The older woman smiled and sipped at her tea before answering; "I was asked a direct question. I also thought Lin would not want them to keep asking and spying on her to find out."

Kya thought it over as she sipped more tea. "Is that why Korra came to us last night?"

"I only said they owed you two an apology. I didn't tell them to apologise."

Kya frowned at her tea.

"Honestly," Katara continued, "I'm surprised no one asked if you knew. Everyone knows you two have been friends for years."

Kya's frown deepened. "They probably thought I would've just taken Lin's side and not say anything."

"Opal talked with me last night. She said that you knew who it was before, but wouldn't tell her."

The younger woman sighed and nodded. "I was at Lin's when she fought with those metalbenders. It was actually one of the reason the fight was started, actually. She said they were calling her an old maid, but Lin told her none of what they said was true. That's how that was started."

"And Opal asked you?"

"Yes," Kya nodded, "But I never actually answered her questions other than that I knew who it was."

The older smiled and her eyes shifted to look out the window behind her daughter. "The ferry is here," She told her, "Why don't you go down and greet Lin."

"You're not coming?"

"I'm going to make some more tea for us."

Kya set her cup down and started to make her way down to the docks. Lin had just taken a few steps on the docks when she saw Kya striding towards her. They met at the edge of the dock. Kya flung her arms around Lin who held her gently, careful not to squish her against her armor.

Kya pulled back and took Lin's hand. "Come on to the kitchens," she said, "Mom's waiting for us."

Lin gave her small smile and they started back up the path to the kitchens.

"So have you seen your mom yet?" Lin asked as they walked.

"Yeah. What Korra said was true," replied the waterbender. "She basically kind of announced it to everyone."

Lin sighed, "I suppose you were right about them finding out in a not so - " she waved her other hand, searching for the word she was looking for.

"Private?" kya suggested.