What If?

"How come you didn't just out her right away?" kya asked. She was laying across Lin's lap in bed. Lin had undone her silver hair and was now toying with it gently as they listened to the radio.

"Hmm?" Lin had been paying attention to the radio.

"Why didn't you just out Opal when you sensed her up in that tree."

Lin smiled faintly, "I didn't want her to know that I knew she was there."

"Why?"

"To see what she'd do," was the the calm reply.

"What do you mean?"

"If we had said something that made it obvious, I wanted to know what her honest reaction would be."

Kya considered this for a few moments. "And then what?"

"I don't know," Lin shrugged.

Kya shifted on Lin's lap so that she could see the other woman's face. "Then why'd you stop the game?"

Lin arched an eyebrow, "Because you don't blush, and she doesn't need to know what we do when we're together."

A slow grin spread across the waterbender's lips, "Good thing too. You may be new to it, but damn your good at the game."

Lin's expression was thoughtful. "How do you think she would've reacted?"

"Who, Opal? I think she would've been excited, especially for you. She really looks up to you, you know."

"She's a good kid," Lin nodded absently. "How do you think the your family would react?"

Kya considered this, biting her lip as she thought. "Well, Mom would be happy no matter what. Tenzin would be an awkward stick in the mud as usual. Pema would be cool with it, I think. And I'm pretty sure the kids wouldn't really care, but would ask a million questions." She tapped her lips for a moment, "Spirits know what Bumi would do, but he'd be cool with it too. I think he used to have a crush on you when we were kids, though."

Lin made a face.

Kya reached up to touch Lin's scarred cheek with one hand. "How do you think yours would?"

"Um..." Lin said awkwardly, "Mom would act like she didn't really care, but i think she'd be happy... I think. Su would be the same as Opal, I guess. The rest of her kids I don't know well enough."

They sat in thoughtful silence for a few moments, listening to the radio before spoke again.

"Do you wanna find out?"

Lin frown and pursed her lips. "Not particularly."

Kya smiled lazily. She was expecting that answer. "I have a feeling that Opal is gonna keep trying to find out. And I also have a feeling it's not going to be a private setting, Lin, when she does find out," Kya told her.

Lin grunted.

Kya shifted again so she was snuggled in even closer. She could feel the earthbender's chest gently rise and fall as she breathed. Warm fingers touched kya's shoulder lightly and rested there.

"I love you," Lin said softly.

Kya's heart skipped a beat and couldn't help but beam in pleasure. She sat up and braced her hands on lin's shoulders and kissed her passionately. When they emerged, Lin's face was amused.

"I didn't know we were playing that game again," she said, her tone wry. "I wasn't even trying."

Kya laughed and stole another quick little kiss from her lips. Kya reached down and Lin's eyes went wide and a small gasp escaped from her.

"I win," kya said smugly.

Lin grabbed kya's hands and flipped her onto her back and set about exploring kya... all night.

~~~

  Thank You for reading! Please leave suggestions and/or ideas in the comments for more moments. Your guy's feedback means so much to me!