Stalling

Lin stepped up onto the wide ornate patio of her sister's house and abruptly turned around.

Kya stopped and turned to look at the other woman. "Lin where are you going?"

"I'm not doing this, Kya," Lin called over her shoulder.

Kya turned awkwardly mid step to follow Lin and stumbled down the patio steps. "Oh come on, Lin," Kya whined, "it's just Su!"

"No, Kya."

Kya jogged up in front of Lin and stopped directly in the other woman's path. Lin tried to side step several times, but Kya moved in her way each time.

"Oh so you're taking lessons on how to annoy me from Meelo now?"

"Where do you think he learned it," Kya grinned. She stepped up close to Lin and put her hands on Lin's too rigid shoulders and looked her squarely in the eye. "Lin, we can leave as soon as we tell your family."

Lin narrowed her eyes, searching Kya's features for anything that said otherwise. "Really?" she asked skeptically.

"Really."

There was a metallic click and a swoosh as the big heavy metal doors to Suyin's home opened.

"Lin? Kya?" a familiar voice asked, "is that you?"

Both of the women turned to face a grinning Suyin standing in the doorway.

"Su!" Kya beamed, "long time no see!" She grabbed Lin's arm and hauled the grumbling metalbender back up the patio steps and hugged Su.

Lin's expression fell into one of her characteristic scowls.

"It's so nice to see you guys!" Su said, drawing them into the house. "What brings you here? If I'd known you were coming, I would've arranged for a feast or something."

"Sorry for the no notice, but I wanted to surprise you."

"She's not the only one surprised," Lin muttered sullenly.

Su's expression turned wry. "I take it my sister didn't know you two were coming either?"

"Nope," Kya replied.

"What's the occasion then?"

Lin coughed, cutting off whatever Kya had been about to say. "Um, we've been travelling non stop all day," Lin diverted, "May we freshen up a bit? Then we could discuss it over dinner or something?"

Both Su and Kya gave Lin an inquisitive look. Lin scratched the back of her neck, trying not to fidget. She was stalling, she knew, but she did not want to just just outright say it either. It'd be better to just say it and be done with it, Lin told herself. How the spirits was she supposed to say it, though. Kya and I are dating. Bye! Lin almost snorted aloud at the thought.

"Of course," Su said nonchalantly. "We'll have dinner here. I'll have Chef whip something delicious for us."

Kya opened her mouth to say something, but Lin cut her off again.

"That's generous of you, Su. Thank you," Lin said without the slightest trace of sarcasm in it.

Su waved a hand, "Whatever, Lin. You're family. I'll let you freshen up then."

"I remember where everything is, thank you," Lin said, stepping forward and took Kya's hand to lead the waterbender to one of the guest rooms."

Su watched them go, noticing how Lin had led Kya away. Su shrugged after a moment a strode off to the kitchens.

~~~

"What was all of that for?" Kya demanded once Lin had shut the guest room door.

Lin folded her arms and gave her lover a pointed look.