Chapter 1: The Dream

~Leafpool's P.O.V.~

     (Narrorator)  Leafpool groaned and sat up. She shook her head groggily. Why do I keep having that dream?! she thought. Every night for a moon. Always that dream!  Ever since Leafpool had returned to her Clan - ThunderClan - she'd been having dreams of the night she and Crowfeather, a WindClan tomcat warrior, had returned to their Clans only to find ThunderClan under attack from a hoard of badgers. Leafpool shuddered; one of those badgers had killed Cinderpelt, her mentor and the former ThunderClan medicine cat.  Cinderpelt had died bravely protecting Sorreltail while she delivered her kits.  She sighed. Time to sort herbs.

     Walking over to the piles of herbs near the back of the Medicine Cat den, she started to sort the different herbs into their respective piles. Horsetail... daisy.... dock.... chervil... marigold... watermint, catmint.. borage... poppy seeds.. coltsfoot... juniper berries.  "Hmm, I need to collect some more catmint, marigold, and borage too. And it won't do me any harm to pick up any other herbs on the way," I murmured to myself.  "Green-leaf will be over in 2 or 3 moons. I'd better go get those herbs to stock up for leaf-bare!" As I got ready to leave, I remembered Sorreltail's borage. I padded over to the nursery to make sure Sorreltail and her kits were healthy and strong.  "Hi, Sorreltail!" I mewed happily. "Hello, Leafpool," Sorreltail replied. "How are the kits?" I ask. "Strong and— OOF!" she grunted as Honeykit pounced on her. "Oops!" Honeykit squeaked. "Sorry Sorreltail! Hi Leafpool!"  "Hello there, Honeykit," I said, suppressing a mrrrow of laughter. "Why don't you go play outside with your littermates?" I suggested, purring. "Ok! See ya!" Honeykit said as she bounced out of the nursery to find Cinderkit, Poppykit, and Molekit.  I turned back to Sorreltail.  She smiled. "As I was saying.. the kits are all strong and healthy, and rambunctious!" she said, mrrrowing with laughter.  "Good. Oh, and here's your borage to help your milk come." "Thanks, Leafpool! You're doing a great job as a medicine cat." Sorreltail meowed. Ok, now that Sorreltail and the kits have been seen to, I can go,  I thought.  

     "Leafpool!" somecat called my name. It was Brambleclaw, the Clan deputy, and my sister - Squirrelflight's - mate.  "Hi," I mewed, wondering what he wanted. "Where are you going?" The deputy asked me. My belly started to churn with anger. "Why do you want to know?!" I snapped, annoyed.  "Woah! Calm down, Leafpool. I was just wondering where you were going and if you needed a warrior escort." he retorted. "I'm going to collect herbs — duh!" I mewed.  Just then Squirrelflight came up to the two arguing cats. "What's going on here?" she asked, looking from me to Brambleclaw and back again.  "I was just aski.." Brambleclaw started to say, but Squirrelflight interrupted. "Leafpool first." The she-cat told her mate.  "Don't you know your manners, Brambleclaw?" Squirrelflight added playfully. He did a mock growl and batted at her flank with a sheathed paw.  "Ok, you two," I mewed, clearing my throat to get their attention. "I was about to go and collect some herbs that I needed, but Mr. Deputy over here" I paused, glaring at Brambleclaw, who had a surprised expression, "decided that's he had to know where I was going. He stopped me and questioned me, and I told him that I was going to collect herbs like any normal medicine cat would." I finished, and sat down, giving my chest a couple of licks  to smooth the ruffled fur. "Ok, makes sense. NOW you can speak, Brambleclaw," Squirrelflight said.  Brambleclaw began his side of the story. "I spotted Leafpool trotting towards the thorn tunnel.  I wanted to see if she needed a warrior escort, so I asked where she was going. She snapped at me and I told her," pausing, this time shooting a glare at me. "that all I wanted to know was if she needed a warrior to escort and help her carry herbs."  Squirrelflight was quiet for a moment, deep in thought. "Hmm. Ok. I think this was just a misunderstanding. How about this: I go with my sister to help her collect herbs, and you go sort out the rest of today's patrols."  Brambleclaw nodded in agreement and padded over the the rest of the warriors to tell them what patrols they would do.  Squirrelflight sighed. "Let's get going, Leafpool."   

A/N

So, what did y'all think? It's my first time writing on Wattpad (I'm a total newb, plz don't judge) and I tried to make it interesting!! I will try to update regularly (maybe 1-3 times a week), so please keep reading!  Please let me know if you have any suggestions to make it more interesting. I won't take any offense if you point out errors in the writing. All comments are appreciated :)  Bye for now!

~Jay_feather27