Chapter 8: "Queen Squirrelflight"

A/N: This chapter will be longer than the previous one about Squirrelflight and Leafpool! I might do a part 2 with Leafpool's P.O.V. only! Thanks for reading. ENJOY!!!!!!!

~Squirrelflight's P.O.V.~

* 4 moons later, leaf-bare begins (Because I'm lazy)* "I still can't believe I'm doing this, Leafpool," I grumbled as we emerged from the thorn tunnel. Leafpool was carrying a wrap of herbs that she would need when she kitted. "Squirrelflight, we are going to have to go beyond the Clans' territory if this secret is to be kept," Leafpool told me in a low mew, ignoring my comment. "Like where you and Crowfea.." I stopped myself before I said the name of Leafpool's former mate. "Like where Crowfeather and I ran away to?" She finished for me, and I looked at my paws guiltily. I knew she didn't like to talk about that particular event. "Yes, but I'd prefer to be in a forest. Somewhere we'd have plenty of shelter- and prey," she added. "Leafpool, it's almost Leaf bare! We can't go too far away, or we'll never find our way back home," I protest, trying to change her mind. Sometimes she is just as stubborn as me! I thought, giving a little mrrrow of laughter at the thought.

"Well, Squirrelflight, unless you want to get caught, we have to go quite some distance from the Clans!" Leafpool snapped, apparently annoyed. "Like what, the mountains?!" I ask, half joking. "I'm not that desperate, Squirrelflight, and if we were to go there, I'd have to go to the Tribe. And if we go to the Tribe, they would know about my kits. If ThunderClan ever goes to the mountains again, the Tribe might tell the Clan cats about me and you going there, and me having kits!" she whisper-yelled at me. "Fine, have it your way. Let's go beyond the border and into the unknown forest. After all, I'm a warrior, so I can protect you. Actually, I'm a fat warrior pretending to be a pregnant queen, no thanks to you!" I muttered in defeat. Leafpool's eyes widened in surprise. I guess she expected me to put up more of a fight! I thought. But who's the pregnant cat here?! You, or your sister? I scolded myself inwardly.

My thoughts drifted to the day Leafpool and I had agreed to do this crazy plan of her's. I can't believe it actually worked! I mused.

(4 moons earlier [Squirrelflight's memories])

As we walked backed to camp, Leafpool explained the easiest part of the plan (or so I thought later on) - she called it "getting pregnant", but I call it "making me fat". Day after day, for 4 moons, I had to eat, and eat, and EAT. I don't know how I did it! That was probably the hardest thing, besides making every cat believe I was carrying Brambleclaw's kits! Poor Brambleclaw, I hope he never finds out about this. (Back to her memories)

We arrived at the camp, and I helped Leafpool put her herbs up. I immediately went to the fresh kill pile and got a fat chaffinch for Leafpool and I to share, although I secretly wanted to eat all of it. Leafpool insisted we eat in the medicine den, since no cat could see 'us' (me) at that chaffinch. When I was done, Leafpool got up and brought two plump mice. One for her and the other for me, she insisted. I finally gave in, knowing that this was completely unfair to the Clan, me taking freshkill I didn't need. I asked Leafpool if this was how it was going to be until her kits were born, and she always told me yes.

She meant what she said, too! It was like that every day for moons!! I will never eat again when those kits are born, I told Leafpool one day, trying to make her laugh. She told me that it was fine with her, because her supply of juniper berries was getting low from all of my bellyaches! We both laughed and laughed after that. I was worried about Leafpool, though. Her belly grew in size as the days went by, as did mine. I knew some of the cats in the Clan were eying her belly curiously, and I knew that they had questions. Thankfully, those questions weren't asked. I still don't know how we managed to pull of this whole charade for 4 moons!