Chapter 10: Beyond the Clans

~Squirrelflight's P.O.V.~

We reached the ThunderClan border around sun-high. "Well, here we are," I whispered, half to myself. My mew was barely audible. I cast a quick glance at Leafpool. She was panting hard. "Leafpool, is there any herbs for strength?" I asked, wondering if we should have eaten traveling herbs before we left. "Yes.. fennel, and maybe we should.." she started to say. "Get some traveling herbs?" I finished for her, smiling. "Yes, good idea," she muttered mockingly.

"Well, I have no clue what the heck traveling herbs are, and I don't know what fennel looks like. You're coming with me, sister," I mewed, letting out a mrrrow of laughter at the way Leafpool sighed sarcastically. "Eh, sure, why not?" she mewed as she stood up shakily on all 4 paws. "Fennel grows in forests, typically in sunny areas," Leafpool murmured, like she was trying to calm herself down. "Traveling herbs shouldn't be hard to find. Let's see. We'll need sorrel, daisy, chamomile, and... burnet!" I rolled my eyes at her, as if to say Seriously? Don't go crazy on me now! You've got kits! She snorted, like she wanted to say As if, Squirrelflight! I sighed, "Ok, Leafpool, what do we need to get first?" I mewed briskly. "Well, traveling herbs help with hunger and give you strength, so I don't think we'll need the fennel. But just in case we find some, we can get it and eat it. If not, at least bring a little bit for, you know, later." said Leafpool. "Ok, that's all good and well, but where do we look?" I asked, exasperated. We aren't getting anywhere with this conversation! I thought impatiently. "Keep your fur on, Squirrelflight, I'm thinking!" my sister huffed.

*Time Skip [30 minutes later]*

While Leafpool made our bundles of traveling herbs, (sorrel, daisy, chamomile, and burnet,) I took a cat nap. I had already asked her if I should hunt, but she told me no, because the herbs would take the edge off our hunger. That night, we slept at the border. The next day we would eat our herbs, bury any traces of us being here, and go. I dreamed about the day when I told Brambleclaw (with a heavy heart) that I was pregnant with his kits.

~In the dream~

"Brambleclaw, I need to talk to you!" I called to my mate nervously. He trotted over to me and nuzzled my cheek. I breathed in his warm scent, feeling guilty about the lie that I was about to tell him. "What is it, my lovely?" he asked, stroking my back with his tail. "Brambleclaw.. I- I'm expecting kits. Your kits!" I squeaked, unsure how he would react. There was a long silence, and he had a thoughtful look in his eyes. "Squirrelflight, that's.. AMAZING!!!!" he mewed excitedly, licking my face lovingly. I purred loudly and rested my head on his shoulder, and he out his head on mine. "Well then, these kits will have the best mother and father that a kit could wish for. I'm so proud of you, Squirrelflight. I will always be here for you, remember that. I love you," he purred, his tail curving around my fat belly. "And I will love our kits more than life itself."

~Wakes up~

When I woke up, I saw Leafpool's face hovering over me. "What is it?" I asked groggily. I sat up and arched my back in a nice, long stretch. "Squirrelflight, you were crying in your sleep," she mewed quietly, her eyes wide with concern. "What were you dreaming about?" I didn't want to answer, because I didn't want her to know just how guilty I felt about all of this. We were lying to the entire Clan! To all the Clans, for StarClan's sake! How could I NOT feel guilty?? "I- I was dreaming about when I told Brambleclaw that I was pregnant, even though I wasn't. I was just fat! I feel so guilty, Leafpool!! All of the lies and deception, it's all one big web! It's all because you and that mangy WindClan cat became mates and ran away and broke the warrior and medicine cat codes! And now you are carrying his kits, and I have to help you by eating extra freshkill that I shouldn't be eating at all, LYING to the entire Clan, our mother and father, my mate, my friends, everyone! All to help you and those kits, those HALF-CLAN KITS THAT ARE HALF WINDCLAN!!!!!" I wailed hopelessly, knowing that there was no way to undo what had been done. How could StarClan let this happen?! Why, StarClan, why!!! I thought as I slumped down onto the ground in a fit of tears.

"Shh, Squirrelflight, don't cry, please. You're just making me fell worse!" she mewed softly, looking away from me. I saw the tears in her eyes, too. She feels even worse than I do! How could I be so selfish?! She's the one carrying kits, not you. She's the one who's not even supposed to have kits, let alone half-clan kits! And she's the one who took a WindClan mate and ran away with him. I scolded myself. By the time I finished crying for the second time that morning, Leafpool had already eaten her herbs and put mine in front of my paws. "Thanks, Leafpool, you're the best," I mumbled as I chewed the bitter herbs, making a face. Leafpool chuckled when I made my 'sour face'. At least, that's what she called it.

"Right, we'd better get going," I told Leafpool, who got up and started walking. "I figured we could go this way, since there seemed to be no Fox scent or badger scent." She gestured with her tail which way to go and I took the lead. We walked the forest until sun-high, and found a hollow tree to rest in. As I cleared away the dead leaves with my tail, I remembered that we'd need moss for nests. "Leafpool, can you get some moss?" I asked. "I'll go hunt. Don't overwork yourself, and stay alert!" I added quickly as she padded out of the tree. I exited the tree, and scented the air around me. I smell... mouse! This way! I thought as I followed the trail of mouse scent. As the smell of mouse grew stronger, I got into a stalking position and made sure I was downwind of the source of the scent. Pricking my ears for any movement in the undergrowth, I continued to move forward in a stalking position. My ears swiveled around when I heard a rustling noise. It's not just one mouse, I realized, It's a whole nest of 'em! By the sound -and scent- of the mouse nest, there was 3 or 4 mice in there, and two of them were outside the nest, sniffing for food. I slowly slid my paws over the earth, gradually getting within pouncing distance. Finally, I pounced on the mice. They didn't even know what hit 'em! I thought, amused at their stupidity as I gave the killing bite.

Satisfied with my catch, I trotted happily back to the tree where Leafpool and I were staying. When I saw the inside of the tree, I was amazed. There were two nests on either side of the hollow trunk, lined carefully with moss and - to my amazement- swan feathers! While I had been admiring the work my sister had done, Leafpool came inside as well. "Like it?" she asked smugly, like she was about to burst with pride in herself. "Oh, Leafpool, it looks amazing! How'd you find the swan feathers?? Those aren't found easily, you know," I asked, both curious and concerned that she'd overworked herself. Leafpool rolled her eyes playfully. "Honestly, Squirrelflight, I can take care of myself. I found them by the remains of a swan. It looked like it was killed by a fox." She didn't even get to finish her report. I cut her off, horrified. "You mean you went and got swan feathers from crow-food?! Leafpool, a Fox could've attacked you!! What were you thinking, taking such a big risk like that? Think of your kits!" I mewed in a rush, nudging her into her new nest. "Now you need to rest. Here's a mouse," I added, dropping the fresh-kill at her paws. "Thanks, Squirrelflight," she mumbled with her mouth full of mouse.

I flopped down into my nest and ate my mouse in a series of small, neat bites. Sighing, I closed my eyes and wrapped my tail over my nose. "Good night, Leafpool," I murmured sleepily as I slipped into an exhausted sleep.