•eight•

Harry Potter unhappily stares out of his window at 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey. He can't stop thinking about a certain Hufflepuff by the name of Dove Taylor. He can't stop replaying the last moments he spoke to her, when she completely shattered his heart.

He can't blame her. They'd spoke a bit throughout the years, but he never asked for her help doing any of the things she did for him this year. The only other questions he ever asked her were homework questions, what she was reading that day, or anything else he could get out of her.

He'd realized her crush on her in fourth year, when she helped him and Cedric Diggory to find out the next tasks for the TriWizard Tournament. Her and Cedric had been extremely close, and he knows they're cousins. 

Even so, Rita Skeeter still made the claim that they were dating although Cedric was dating Cho Chang. Harry also knew Dove had never minded the rumors. She had told him once that people would never stop making rumors, and sometimes she just had to go with it, as disgusted as she had been. 

Harry sighs, propping his head on his fist. Everyone knew Voldemort was back. He had so many things to worry about, and yet, all he could think about was the brunette who held his heart.

Moving to his desk, he gets out a quill and a piece of parchment before opening his ink pot. He hesitates over the parchment, a drop of ink splattering onto it. He takes this as a sign to begin writing, so he does.

Dove,
It's Harry. Potter, that is. I know you hate me nowadays, but I can't stop thinking about you. You're all I think about all of the time. It's rather annoying, really. Voldemort is back, and I should be focusing on how to stop him, yet you're all I'm focusing on. I'm truly sorry for pulling you into the DA and the plan to get into Umbridge's office. Both times I asked for your help, you got hurt. I understand if you continue to be angry with me. I'm angry with me, too. Can I ask something, though? When did you start fancying Malfoy? I keep trying to find times in my mind when you two were talking, or you seemed interested in him, but I can't find any. I'm sorry, that sounds awfully rude. Do you understand what I'm trying to ask? Anyways, I hope you're well. I hope to get a response from you soon.
Harry

He folds the parchment, placing it in Hedwig's beak. He watches her for a moment, knowing he messed up in the letter. However, he can't seem to think of any ways he could better say any of what he wrote. Finally, Hedwig scratches at his hand, flying over to the window expectantly.

"Take it to Dove Taylor," he instructs her, opening the window wide.

He watches as his beautiful owl soars through the sky, looking thrilled to be back in the air once more. He watches until she is completely gone from sight, and even then, he stares at where she disappeared.

Harry,
I'm not angry anymore. I don't think I ever really was. Mainly, I was hurt. For some reason, I blamed you for my small injuries. That's not right. Yes, you asked me for my help, but I gave it willingly. Stop beating yourself up over it; I forgive you. As for the whole you thinking about me all of the time thing, I'm sorry. There's not really much I can do about that. However, I will answer your question. I started fancying Draco halfway into first year, I suppose. And stop looking, you won't find any memories of us together from your perspective. Even in first year, I spent all of my time in the library. That's where Draco found me, and that's where we met up from then on. We were just friends until about a month and a half ago. Then, he decided to change everything between us. In a good way, of course. Anyways, Harry, how are you? Is your summer going alright?
Hugs!
Dove

Harry couldn't believe it! Dove had responded to his letter, and it had arrived two days after Hedwig had returned! She had responded so soon, and it warmed his heart. Maybe she was beginning to fancy him?

He pores through the letter as fast as he can, his warm feelings turning cold when he realizes that Dove has fancied Draco for about five, almost six, years. He's not sure he can compete with that.

Regardless, he wants to continue talking to her, even if it is just as friends. He's just grateful she's forgiven him. His eyes linger at the last two words on the letter. 'Hugs! Dove.' It amuses him greatly, because it is so like her to write something like that. He grins, returning to his desk and writing yet another letter to the Hufflepuff.

Dove Taylor,
Thank you for forgiving me. I appreciate it. Thank you again for answering my question honestly. I'm glad you're happy. How are the two of you? Have you hung out yet? Sorry if I'm prying. Just curious. As for me, I'm doing alright. My summer's going fine, I guess. Hard to explain over letter. We should get together over the summer! You, me, Ron, and Hermione. You up for it? Malfoy could even come too, I suppose. If you're dating him, he can't be all that bad, right?
Harry :)

He shakes his head at his hastily scrawled smiley face, but still he sends the letter off with Hedwig. This time, though, he doesn't watch her until she's gone. He shuts the window and starts writing a letter to Hermione, feeling lighter than he has in awhile.