•fourteen•

Dove Taylor watches her boyfriend swim, sitting on the dock as usual. The lake had very quickly become the couple's favorite spot. It was private, secluded, but it was also beautiful. They could be whoever they wanted when they were at the Taylor's dock. 

While he swims, she's been focusing on her tan. She's already tanner than she was last year, which she considers a win. Footsteps sound behind her, and she turns to find a few figures approaching. 

She squeals, leaping to her feet excitedly, "You guys came!" 

"Of course, we did," Ron Weasley scoffs good-naturedly. 

"This is a really wicked space," Harry Potter comments, still slightly nervous around the gorgeous Hufflepuff.

"Thanks," she says with a bright smile, hugging him as he approaches. She moves to Hermione, "I love your bathing suit!"

"Thank you," the Gryffindor says with a slight blush. "I love your dress."

Dove simply beams a smile. She feels as if she's gotten so much more confident over this summer. It feels as if she's finally growing into herself. She remembers a time where she would avoid people so she wouldn't even have to talk to them, a sign of how bad her social anxiety was.

But now, she's almost certain she would walk into a crowd of people with only a bit of fear. She doesn't think she'll ever grow out of her social anxiety all the way, but she's made great progress.

"Draco, Harry, Ron, and Hermione are here," Dove calls to her boyfriend. 

He suddenly surfaces, having heard her yell. He swims over to them easily, his muscles rippling in the water. He walks out of the water and onto the sand, climbing up onto the dock with an admirable ease. Dove can't stop herself from obviously checking him out. She is definitely the luckiest person she knows.

"Hey," he greets them. She can't help but be impressed. He doesn't sound as stiff as he normally does when talking to them. "Good to see you all."

Hermione looks slightly taken aback as well, "Good to see you too." 

"I have drinks and food whenever we're ready," Dove informs them all. "Oh, I'm going to run back to the house and see if Neville is here." 

"Can you bring me my--"

"Yes," she interrupts Draco with a playful glare, "I knew you forgot it the moment we got out here." 

He rolls his eyes as she hurries away, practically skipping. She follows the dirt trail back to her house, going inside without a second thought. 

"Dove?" A familiar voice asks hesitantly.

Faintly surprised, she turns around to see Narcissa Malfoy exiting the fireplace, "Hi!" She greets enthusiastically. "Draco's at the dock, would you like me--"

"No," the woman says hurriedly. "I need to speak to you."

Dove blinks a few times, worried at what could be said, "Okay. Why don't we step into the dining room? I need to get Draco's towel anyway." 

The two women walk into the dining room, Narcissa more hesitant. She sits as soon as she can, practically slumping into the seat. 

"Dove, you have treated my son better than I could have ever wished for," she admits, looking tired. 

"Mrs. Malfoy, are you alright?" The kind teenager asks, sitting next to her. 

After only a moments hesitation, the girl reaches out to put her hand over top Narcissa's. The woman is quick to hold it tightly, as if drawing strength from her son's girlfriend.