•thirty-eight•

Right as Dove Taylor, Draco Malfoy, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley are about to enter the Great Hall, they decide against it. They decide to wait for their backup, their saving grace. They can only pray they come in time. 

Dove and Draco sit on the ground, talking together. They're pretending this isn't happening, that this isn't real, because they know in just a few short minutes, it's going to be realer than anything they've ever encountered.

"I saw something at the wedding," Dove suddenly comes clean. "I was looking out of the window and saw my reflection. But it wasn't me." 

"What?" 

"It was wearing my dress. She had your hair. She was a lot shorter than me, as if she was young," she confesses. "I think I was seeing our future daughter."

He's quiet for a moment, processing her words, "Then as we fight, let's do it for her." 

"Draco..." She trails off, reaching out to take his hand. "We need to talk about what's about to happen."

"We don't know if it's about to happen," he argues, but it's weak, and he clutches her hand tightly.

"Draco," she repeats, as gently as possible, "The Death Eaters are going to be gunning for us specifically. What's our plan?"

"Stick together," he insists. "You were gone from my side for one second, and you almost died, Dove."

"That was when--" She stops, "We did know it was dangerous. Fine. Okay, we stick together." 

"We need to get to McGonagall as soon as possible," he further says, "She'll know where we should be." 

"That's true," she agrees. "What do you think Harry wants us to do?"

"Fight," Hermione suddenly interjects, standing with Ron. "Fight like hell." 

"We can do that," Draco almost laughs, but it's dry with no humor. "I'm glad you guys are okay."

"For how long?" Ron asks grimly. 

No one answers. For a moment, it's quiet. Multiple pairs of footsteps rush towards the four teenagers, and they all stand with their wands drawn. Draco edges closer to his girlfriend, a silent reminder of their promise of forever. 

"Where are they?" The familiar voice of Lorraine Taylor asks. "Where are my kids?" 

"Mum!" Dove croaks, running forwards to find her parents. Draco is close behind her as always, relief shining on his face. "Oh, it's so good to see you!"

Lorraine grabs ahold of the daughter she hasn't seen in three months, holding her tight. David is quick to pull Draco into the hug of a lifetime, squeezing him so tightly his back cracks. But the Slytherin doesn't mind; he has his family altogether. 

"Come on," Hermione urges. 

Ron has a tearful reunion with his family, but all too soon, they march into the Great Hall, wands raised defiantly. Harry is in the middle of the room, wand pointed at Snape, yelling almost incoherently. 

"What are you waiting for?" Pansy asks, but her voice is weak. She spots Draco and Dove, and a newfound fight gleams in her eyes. Instead of the words that would damn her to the dungeon, she breaks out of her mold by uttering, "Protect him."

With that, Pansy steps in front of Harry, daring anyone to oppose her. Eyebrows raised, Professor McGonagall looks at the former Hufflepuff, a suppressed smile clear on her face. 

"Alright," the professor says loudly, gaining everyone's attention easily. "We don't have much time. Prefects, guide everyone below fifth year to their Common Rooms."

"Or take them through the tunnel in the Room of Requirement," Neville interjects, "To keep them safe."

"We can assist with Floo powder," Hannah Abbott suggests, Ernie MacMillan beside her. 

"Excellent," Professor McGonagall agrees. "Professors, sixth years, put protection spells on this castle. Seventh years, prepare for a fight. Protect yourself. Help anyone who needs help. And anyone who wants to leave, there are no hard feelings. And Potter," all eyes go to him, "It is good to have you back."

"It's good to be back, Professor," Harry grins. 

"Dove Taylor," Professor McGonagall says cheerfully despite the circumstances. "It is delightful to see you. And you, Draco Malfoy. I suspect there's a reason you're back?"

"To fight," Draco says easily. "We're involved in this almost as much as Potter is. My mother was killed."

"Cedric and Susan were killed," Dove says softly, grief utterly evident in her eyes. "But Professor, I have an idea."

"Do tell."

"What if...we possibly create diversions?" She suggests, her tone almost wicked. Pride gleams on Draco's face. "I need Seamus and Dean for this. Not only should we blow things up to make diversions, what if we possibly used patronuses to confuse them? Tell them different messages? Make it seem like they're winning so that they drop their guard a bit, and then we attack?" 

"Brilliant," the Gryffindor Head of House says with clear pride, "After this war, you and I need to have a talk about your future plans." 

"I can't wait," Dove agrees. 

"Go, go, go! We don't know how much time we have," she encourages, pushing the couple away gently. 

Dove rushes down the hall, searching for her ex-boyfriend and his best friend. She spots them with Neville, talking about strategies.

"Seamus! Dean!" She calls, skidding to a stop in front of them. "I need your help to blow things up." 

"B-blow things up?" Seamus repeats, awe-struck. "Are you serious? And McGonagall okayed it?" 

"I sure did, Mr. Finnegan," the professor herself states extravagantly, strutting from the hall with Molly Weasley by her side. 

"Let's do this," Seamus agrees without a single qualm. "See you later, Neville. Good luck."

"Thanks, mate," Neville grins. "Dove, be careful out there. You too, Draco."

"We will," the two say in sync, grabbing each other and breaking into a run, Seamus and Dean not far behind. 

"What's the plan?" Dean asks, wand at the ready.

"Stay alive, blow everything up, make patronuses, distract Death Eaters, kill them if we have too, and most of all, stay alive," Dove says hurriedly. "No one else dies on my watch, got it?"

"Got it," Seamus grins. "I'm proud of you, Taylor."

She smiles at him despite it all, "It's good to see you."

The four decide to start at opposite sides of the castle, staying in teams. Draco goes with Dean, and Dove goes with Seamus, breaking their promise of staying with each other but for good reasons: the safety of everyone at this school and the promise of a safe future. 

"I better be able to marry you after all this, Dovelyn," Draco yells as she runs away with Seamus.

"Fight like hell then," she calls back cheekily, a huge smile on her features.