•thirty-seven•

Dove Taylor mutters anxiously to herself, pacing back and forth. She runs a shaking hand through her hair, pulling hard when it knots. The pain hardly registers. Harry Potter had just sent word to her and Draco Malfoy that they were at Hogsmeade with Albus Dumbledore's brother, Aberforth Dumbledore, and wanted her and Draco to join them.

He'd said that this was it. 

Everything that Dove had known was going to happen since the awful day her cousin, Cedric Diggory died, is coming to a head. She checks the time. He'd said she had until five o'clock to get there before he went into Hogwarts.

It's four-thirty now. She has to do this. For Draco, for Susan, for Cedric, and even for Megan and Blaise. She needs to do this for Hannah, her remaining roommate. For Ernie, the Prince to her Princess. For her favorite second-year, Creedence, who looks up to her. For Neville, the friend she's overlooked since everything in her life went crazy. For her parents, who accepted Draco with open arms and have loved him fiercely ever since. 

"Draco," she says, too loudly. Footsteps come up the stairs, Draco coming into their shared room. "It's time."

His face pales, but he understands. He sweeps past her without a word, getting his cloak and wand. He hands her hers, helping her to put it on. They look at each other, everything reflected in their eyes. 

Two years. 

They've been together two years and it might be all they get. Two years of love, strength, and happiness. Two years of hurt, grief, and bad situations. Yet neither of them would trade it for anything. 

"Forever," he says, voice clear as day.

"Forever." 

Aberforth Dumbledore is ready to let the two adult wizards in as soon as the caterwaul charm begins its shrieking. The young couple enter the dingy pub, finding Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley standing before them, looking at an empty portrait. 

"We came," Dove speaks, causing the trio to turn around.

It's tense. They all know what is to come. 

"Thank you," Harry breathes. 

"Look, it's... it's going to be bad," Hermione starts nervously, looking to Ron for assurance. He puts his hand on her shoulder, causing the Hufflepuff to raise an eyebrow. "We don't even know if we're going to win."

"We're going to do all we can," Dove fiercely says, shocking all of them. "The light always overpowers the dark. Even when it all seems lost, like the darkness has won, the sun just has yet to rise. Right now, we're at the new moon. It's all dark. We have no idea what is to happen. But I promise you, at the worst moment, when it seems as if darkness is all that is left, the sun will begin to rise. It will happen slowly and then all at once. We can do this."

Draco pulls her into his side, "Tell us what to do, Harry." 

"Right now, wait. Once we figure out what's going on inside the castle, I'll let you know," Harry promises. 

The portrait suddenly opens, causing all of them to turn and look. To Dove's utter relief and shock, Neville freaking Longbottom comes out, limping at that. Looking bruised and battered, she's never seen him look so radiant.

"Neville," she croaks, suddenly leaping forward to throw her arms around him. "Oh, Merlin, Neville!"

"Dove Taylor," he chokes out, hugging her tightly. "Good Godric it's good to see you." He looks at the others, "Blimey. It's good to see all of you."

He leads the odd group into the tunnel, taking them right back into Hogwarts. Dove brings up the rear with her boyfriend, the two holding hands, making sure every moment counts. Despite what she had just gone on a spiel about, she isn't sure if she believes it.