•twenty-one•

Dove Taylor enters the Potions classroom, finding Horace Slughorn at his desk, looking over a few spare scrolls of parchment. She does her best to keep her heart-rate down, knowing it's already going through the roof. She just doesn't like favoritism. Even with Umbridge, she despised it although she used it to her advantage for Harry. That was definitely a one time thing.

"Good evening, Professor," she greets, perching atop a desk. He startles, looking at her in clear surprise. "Harry told me you requested me?" 

"Ah, yes, yes, I most certainly did," he agrees pompously. "Thank you for coming." Harry and Draco wisely linger in the corridor, listening in easily. They ignore each other quite well, still not friends. "Where is Mr. Malfoy?"

"I told him he didn't need to come," she says flippantly. "I figured you just wanted to talk to me anyway, correct?" 

"Well, yes," he admits. "I want you to join my Slug Club."

"I apologize if I offend, dear Professor Slughorn, but I would rather not," she says sweetly. "I simply have a lot on my plate, and I just don't want to overwhelm myself. Besides, I don't think I've done anything worthy of being in the club." 

He shakes his head, "No, no, you have. The Taylor family are part of the sacred twenty-eight! And your great-grandmother invented the 'protego' spell!"

"I didn't do that," Dove says pointedly. "My family did, but I had no part in it." 

Momentarily stumped, he frowns, "Why don't you like me?" 

Surprised herself, an inkling of shame washes through her, "Sir, I genuinely don't mean to offend--"

"I heard you were someone who forms their own opinions of people instead of listening to others," he says flippantly. "That's why you are with Mr. Malfoy, correct?" She doesn't answer, taken aback. "It seems as if you aren't who I thought you were."

Hurt prickles at her heart, and she lowers her gaze, "Sorry to disappoint, Professor Slughorn," she utters stiffly. "If you'll excuse me, it's almost curfew and I don't want detention." 

"Miss. Taylor, I apologize--" 

"Sir, I have made my own opinion of you," she suddenly snaps, breaking her no-rudeness rule. "You are obsessed with having trophies, them being students. You want to grab the ones that you think will do the best after Hogwarts so that if they succeed, you can say you had a hand in making them who they are simply for the momentary fame it brings you. I don't like favoritism. It's unfair and not right. All you do is display favoritism. So, to finish, I'm exactly who you thought I am, I just didn't want to say it because I knew it would land me in trouble, but since you called my character into question, I had to say it. Have a good night, Professor." 

She makes it two steps before he calls after, "Ten points from Hufflepuff, Miss. Taylor. You'll serve detention with your Head of House tomorrow at seven pm." 

"Gladly," she calls back smartly, her blood boiling. She slams the door behind her as she leaves, "I don't say these words lightly or often, but I hate that man."

Both boys are very shocked. Neither of them know what to say. However, one thought is the same in both of their minds: Dove Taylor has changed. 

But is it for the better? 

-

The question haunts Harry the next day as he maneuvers his way through his day. Draco didn't seem pressed at all by it, holding onto his girlfriend at every opportunity. Harry had seen them in DADA, they were closer than ever. 

Did Draco not get affected by last night's events? 

"Where are you, Harry?" Ginny asks, laughing a bit as she sits next to him in the Common Room.

 "Honestly, I'm worried about Dove," he sighs bluntly. The red-head has quickly become his confidante this year. "She's so different... It's like her and Malfoy switched roles. She's more blunt and honest while he's more reserved and shy. I don't get it."

"I think the new Dove is wicked," Ginny shrugs. "Yes, she's changed a lot, but I think it's a good thing. She used to let people walk all over her, including you. Now, she isn't afraid to speak her mind. I know she isn't the girl you love anymore," Harry stares at her in surprise, "But she's Malfoy's girl. He loves her no matter what and she loves him despite all he's done. I know you care for her, but you need to let her go." 

Harry sighs, "I thought it would be easier. This summer was hard, but it felt like I was doing it. Getting over her, I mean. But now that I see her almost every day, with him, it's hard. I just keep seeing the girl that would blush anytime someone glanced in her direction. Now she smiles as soon as someone turns the corner."

"I remember when you wouldn't so much as speak out in class and then you got detention on your first day with Umbridge," Hermione jumps in. "You've changed. I've changed. Ginny's changed. Ron has changed. Sure, Dove's change is very pronounced, but she's finally in tune with herself and that's obvious. She sees something wrong, she fixes it. She's just more of a go-getter now. I like it," she adds, agreeing with Ginny. 

Harry sighs again, "You don't understand." 

The girls exchange a look, shaking their heads slightly.

"Go talk to her about it then," Ginny says off-handedly. "I'm sure she'll give you any information you want." 

"Maybe I will," he mutters, standing up and leaving the Common Room faster than they've ever seen him move.

Hermione shakes her head again, "Cedric's death is what spurred her change. He was her best friend and cousin."

"And dating Malfoy solidified it," Ginny replies, nodding. "I really like the new her, and I hate to say it, but I kind of like the new Malfoy too."

"He's finally bearable," Hermione laughs. "I think they're good together, but I don't want to say that around Harry."

"Do you think he'll ever get over her?" The red-head asks, a bit of longing in her voice. 

"Yes," the sixth-year says firmly. "I think he'll always have a fondness for her, but she won't ever be with him. And I'm sure he'll realize she's never going to be his."

-

A/N

Hi! Sorry, this was mainly informational. Next chapter will include a bit of a nasty argument between the Chosen One and our favorite (I think hahah) Hufflepuff.

But what's that? 

Danger?

Oh, no, it's coming straight for chapter twenty-two! Look out, Dove! 

Uh, oh.... poor Dove. 

Wink wink!!! 

hahaha xoxo Alyson