Thirty-Five

hi there!

i know these author's notes are generally skipped through by a majority of readers, but I feel as though this chapter requires a bit of an explanation/warning.

louis' family comes to visit him, because they're obviously aware of his condition, and louis is comfortable with talking to them about him decline in health very openly. with that being said, their conversations don't spare you any of the details (louis basically flat out tells a few of his sisters that he knows he'll pass away soon).

while the past few chapters of this book could have been triggering to people who don't handle death well, this chapter especially talks about it a lot in detail and there are a lot of emotional conversations. i just wanted to warn you, make sure you were mentally okay before continuing on. if you start to read this chapter and then decide it's too much for you, I completely understand.

with that being said, i hope you all know you can come to me whenever you need to talk, whether it relates to this kind of topic or not. i love each and every one of you and thank you for being such incredible readers x

It's coming, Harry knows it.

Louis is always cold now, so he's bundled up in the bed taking a nap, and every time he does this Harry's scared he won't wake up. Emma is on Harry's side of the bed, watching a cartoon on Harry's laptop and snuggling into her Daddy, who has his arm around her. Addison is in her cot next to Louis' side of the bed. Louis wanted both of his girls close, so Harry gave him that. Harry will give him anything he wants right now.

Harry's in the kitchen, making lunch when he hears Addison start to cry from the bedroom. He doesn't know if Louis will wake up to her crying and tend to her, so he sighs and sets his knife down before walking towards the bedroom.

Addison is in the cot, and Louis' eyes are fluttering open. Emma has her little hands cupped over her ears at the loud noise. She doesn't like loud noises, Harry's found out, and he always feels terrible when Addison starts to scream and she's close to it.

"I-I should've gotten her, 'm sorry," Louis mumbles sleepily, looking up at Harry guiltily as he lifts her out of the cot.

"'S okay," Harry assures, giving Louis a small smile. "You relax, love, 've got her."

Louis just watches as Harry carries Addison out of the room, probably to change her. He sighs and kisses the top of Emma's head, feeling her nuzzle her nose into his arm like Harry often does.

Emma's focused on whatever educational cartoon Harry had put on for her, while Louis is just focused on breathing. Inhale, exhale. It's getting harder to remember how. He's just grateful he's doing it now, with his sweet little daughter resting against him.

He can hear Harry come back into the bedroom, but he doesn't turn around to look at him. He's so tired, Harry knows that. So he climbs onto the bed and snuggles into Louis' back, kissing the back of his neck.

"Your family's coming over later," Harry mentions, closing his eyes. And he knows it's going to be hard, for both him and Louis, because they both very well know this could easily be the last time they see Louis, but Harry's trying to be optimistic. Louis' birthday is in a few weeks, and he's going to make it.

"Great," Louis mumbles, and Harry can hear the satire. He frowns and kisses the same place he had a few moments ago, leaning his forehead against Louis' back.

"I love you, Louis," Harry says softly. He can hear Louis sigh. Harry climbs over to Louis' other side so he can see his face. Louis glances down at Harry's face, and Harry gives him a big, dopey grin. "I love youuu."