Pretty Ways To Die

Everything in the office was clean and perfect, from the paperweight to the pen holder, from the PC screen perfectly parallel to the keyboard, to the design vase. There was no trace of restlessness, as if the Apocalypse had never occurred there. The posters on the walls showed smiling people, frozen in a past that no longer existed. They applied the police, loans, young people’s giro accounts, the family, the home, the work… You jumped as a screeching noise filled the air. “What are you doing there?” Daryl moved chairs into a corner. “I’ll make room if we need to sleep, I’d like to lie down.” You gave one last look to the poster and then went to him. “You can plan something like that, you know?”, you replied sarcastically. He didn’t answer. “None of us thought of escaping to a bank when it all happened, and then saying it should be a safe place.” There was no sign of Daryl hearing what you said. “You don’t talk that much, do you?” The man sat down in a cubicle and took his place between the desk and the low plasterboard wall, occupying all the space available. You pursed your lips and cursed the moment when the Walkers caught you and Daryl between those two buildings. You had succeeded in joining the bank, but you would rather have had a more talkative person by your side. When the group escaped, you both were left behind, mainly because of you, who were already panting after a few minutes of running. Daryl had stopped to wait for you, killing a few Walkers with his crossbow and making no mistake. He had heaved you onto his shoulders and had broken the glass in the bench window. In this way, you had escaped and tried to find a way out before you realized that the whole building was surrounded. You had decided to wait until the next morning, hoping the Walkers had thinned out in the meantime. You arranged the backpack under your head like a pillow, with bad, rather uncomfortable results. “Anyway, I always thought I’d break into a bank sooner or later.” Daryl’s deep voice filled the silence. “But I didn’t imagine it would be that way.” You took a moment to understand those words, then chuckled. Maybe more because of the surprise of hearing him speak than for the sentence itself. “What did you do before?”, you asked. Daryl shrugged in the dark. “Nothing. I was probably just waiting to get into trouble.”

“So it was not a big change for you.” From the cabin in front of Daryl, which was separated only by the narrow corridor, you looked at each other for a moment. “I was kidding.” Daryl looked back at the ceiling. A wry smile was painted on his face, but he tried to suppress it. “What are we going to do tomorrow?”, you asked. “We’ll see, if there are only a few Walkers left, it may be enough to kill some and go.”

“And if there are too many?” He was quiet for a while, long enough for you to wait for an answer. “We’ll see.”, he finally said. “What do you miss in the old world?” Without receiving an answer, you continued, “For me, the music. In the beginning, music players still worked, if you could find some.”

“Sensible food.” Daryl turned to you, swinging a foot and holding his arms behind his head. “For real?” He nodded. “Oh hell, you made me hungry, thank you.”

“And that reminds me of something… Alicia, for example-…” You fell silent. Daryl could almost hear your thoughts contract. Whoever Alicia and the others were, they were not with you and that was enough. “Let’s sleep.”, said the man, turning his back to you and adjusting his jacket under his head. “Yes.”

“Get up! Get awake! Run!”, Rick’s voice came from a not too distant distance. Daryl jumped up, saw the van and leaned forward to reach you, with too many Walkers behind. He grabbed your hand and dragged you to him. Slowly you dragged yourselves onto the seats, while Daryl tried to brush his long hair off his face. “What a fucking great sense of survival!”