Dead Or Alive

Carl didn’t know if it was the fault of the apocalypse… When Judith was born she didn’t look like the happiest girl in the world. She didn’t laugh often, watching the people and the surrounding area with a certain amount of mistrust. In short, she already understood everything about this life. When the group returned to the base, she was the first to meet her brother, father, and the others with a faint smile as if relieved to see them return. For a while she enjoyed the adults’ attention, every smile and the flattering looks. Judith stepped back and watched as the attentions abruptly moved away from her. In fact, she hoped things would return to normal with her father’s return. He would stand in the middle of the room and explain that she was her child, that she was the one and inimitable and that they had to worship her. “Daddy!”, she screamed and ran to Rick. Rick picked her up and was pleased to see that she weighed more and more. “How did it go? Did you check if everything was alright?” She nodded, preferring not to answer. That evening, everyone decided to take a break, and all the animals that Daryl hunted were cooked in cans that Glenn and Carol had found with some of the fruits they had picked. The necessary presentations were made and you were introduced to the rest of the group. The others gave you nothing more than a lukewarm greeting, but they knew that if Rick had welcomed you, you would have to be someone to trust. You were not disappointed in your turn, as you already were after you had to kill Ofelia. In the middle of the evening, you clutched the beige jacket you had taken from the ruined camp. The group considered what had happened to the two parties when they were separated. Everyone found out that others had something to tell, something to be happy, to still be together. You settled into something that looked like a little library. Nothing but a small colored room with many shelves full of books. Judith was also set up in a kind of game room, as toys were scattered everywhere. You crouched in a corner and closed your eyes to sleep but didn’t notice that someome had a persistent look and watched you closely. Daryl hadn’t left you alone for a moment the entire evening. “And how is the girl?”,Carol asked suddenly, when she was sure that you were sleeping. “It’s okay besides the circumstances…”, Daryl said quickly. Rick gave him a quick look and then nodded. “She helped us, she’s an honest person, but she lost her group… They’re probably all dead.”

“So she stays with us?”, Glenn asked curiously.

“Yeah, we can trust Y/N.” The group was getting ready for the night and Carol had taken the first night shift. Glenn and Maggie had settled near the baths without disturbing the others at night. Michonne, Rick, Carl and Judith were in the main room next to the entrance. Usually, Carol slept in the library and told Daryl he could settle there.

“Hey, I’m laying blankets down here.”, she said softly, opening a bright red metal cupboard and laying a few blankets on the ground.

“But you have to sleep without a pillow.”

Daryl snorted and looked critically into the room. You were surrounded by low shelves, and your heavy and regular breathing made Daryl understand that you were already asleep. You lay curled up on the cold floor and had as sole heat source this beige jacket. Daryl pulled a new blanket out of the closet and approached you under Carol’s gaze, covering you without waking you up. Your features spread in your sleep and you turned your head to the other side. Daryl moved away when he heard your voice mumbling a bit. At first he thought you were thanking him. Then he heard it more closely.

“Nick…”, you mumbled and Daryl stiffened. He stood for a moment in the middle of the room, a feeling of discomfort spreading in his stomach. Then he walked away and picked up the blanket Carol had taken out for him. The woman immediately understood what was wrong with him.

“We will not go back.”

“I think we suggested that.”

“There is no turning back, Atlanta and Georgia are lost. We know that.”