Enjoy The Little Things

Daryl raised his head and shook him in the direction of the others. “He is dead.”

Rick put his hands on his hips and looked around sadly. “Okay… then let’s move on.”

“What? Dad, we can not leave him here.” Carl was following his father, who had already left. “We can not slow down anymore, so let’s move on.” Carl snorted, returned to Daryl and shook his head. “Is he really dead?” The man wiped his hands on his shirt. “Yes, and the boat will not start if we can not find spare parts.”

“We could.” The boy looked thoughtfully at another boat, which was also at the dock. It was big enough for everyone, but they couldn’t start it despite the keys.

“It isn’t worth it.” You joined them and looked at the dirty, battered fishing boat. “There will be other boats here.”

“What if we could find a nice ship?”, Carl asked with a smile.

“Then we would have cracked the jackpot.”, you smiled, your eyes half closed and one hand outstretched to protect yourself from the sun. You couldn’t help but think what would happen if Travis and the others had been here instead of Rick’s group. Maybe they could have started the boat again, along with Victor Strand. By the time you had traveled together, he had been the mechanic and captain on board, insisting that everyone learn how to control the basic mechanisms. You hadn’t learned much, but Madison had escaped and Ofelia understood something, too. The others seemed to be doing nothing more than helping to hand over things like the screwdriver and start the engine. “Can you do that anyway?” Daryl stepped out of the shadows with a grin on his face.

“Partially.”, you snorted. “And just because you never laugh, that doesn’t mean nobody else has to help me anyway.” As if in an automatic gesture, you tightened the beige jacket and accelerated your pace to move away from Daryl. His eyes darkened. He checked how many cigarettes were left over from the motel adventure. Only five. But that seemed like the perfect moment to calm the nerves a little. He lit one and held it between his lips a little before pulling. The taste of the smoke was initially sharp, but then left a pleasant aftertaste on the palate. He closed his eyes and enjoyed the moment for a short time. Although Daryl was a smoker, he was rather that kind of person who does something, even though he knows it’s not good, even though finding cigarettes has become increasingly difficult. Better to light a cigarette anyway than to think of Y/N tying the damn jacket between her fingers. What kind of person would wear something like that? Of course it was not the garment, but what it represented. You touched the jacket as if stroking someone’s cheek, as if you were cuddling in a warm embrace. At the same time you looked daintier when you wore the jacket, and not just because it was a male jacket. Your whole mind seemed to have withdrawn. Something had broken in you, and Daryl was afraid that it was something impossible to rebuild. “Can I?” Carol reached out and Daryl held out cigarette. “Stop it.”

“Thanks.” He looked perplexed. “I didn’t know you were doing that shit too.” Carol shrugged. “It’s never been a bad habit, but sometimes I have to calm my nerves.” She smiled in his direction and then looked back to the rest of the group. With a wave of her hand holding the stub, Carol pointed to Y/N. “You like her.” Daryl gasped, looked at Carol and her sight alone relaxed him. It was Carol. She wouldn’t bother him with something like that. “I don’t know.”, he answered only. “You don’t know or don’t want to believe it?” Daryl didn’t answer. “Do you remember the prison? The first night I asked you to fuck with me.” Maybe she scolded him… But no, he couldn’t believe that she was so upset about him! Why did she bring this story back? This conversation was not suitable for him, he felt uncomfortable. Anything that meant expressing what he felt or even expressing the relationship between two people made him feel uncomfortable. He had always wondered why words were used. The words were overrated. The time and gestures that have taken place over the years have spoken a thousand times more. To hell with the words! “So what?”