Disappeared In The Sea Of The Living Dead

The group had become accustomed to the rhythm of the current and the days on the boat had taken over the routine. Every day you fished. With the end of civilization and large-scale fishing, the freshwater fauna seemed to multiply. Each time you lowered the bait, the hook appeared a little later with an attached fish. You all ate so much fish that they could not stand it anymore. When Judith first saw the group of caught fish, she began to cry as she saw the animals desperately fighting and hoping for survival. Since she already ate whatever they ate, they still hadn't told her that their meals consisted largely of the animals that once gasped for air. Even if Michonne was searching for a way to tell her without angering her or getting her to become a vegetarian. Every morning they collected the water from the river and boiled it to purify it, and they cooked fish on the remnants of the embers. It had been at least a couple of weeks since you had traveled this way, and Rick had decided to set up camp again on the edge of the river.

"We need more food, red meat, carbohydrates, vegetables, we have plenty of water and we don't use it, we could cook something to make it last longer..."

"And Judith needs new clothes.", Maggie pointed out.

"She has nothing to do, I'm afraid that if she starts exploring the boat she will only have weapons and knives to play with, she could get seriously injured.", Glenn added.

"You're right, Glenn. Anything else?"

You raised your hand as if you were in class and Rick was the teacher.

"Towels."

"Okay." The man looked around. Carl shifted his weight from one foot to the other and glanced at you.

"Carl?"

"Maybe we could get some books-...", he finally said. "...-for Judith."

Carl didn't think it would ever really use anything, but the school was missing. Still, it was different. He would give everything for an hour at school.

"School books?"

"Yes." Carl looked at you. "Maybe you can help me choose which one."

You smiled and approached him. "What were your favorite subjects?"

"None really, but don't tell my dad, even if it does not matter anymore..."

You two went around, and before you disappeared on the other side of the boat, you put an arm on Carl's lean shoulders, who was a few inches taller than you. You looked like an older sister with your little brother, tall and relaxed, yet Daryl wondered to what extent he could be jealous of a boy like Carl. You wanted to be with Carl. One thing that undoubtedly made you pathetic, at least in Daryl's eyes.

An approaching group of Walkers roamed the schoolyard and prevented entry. "There are too many, we can't kill them all."