Chapter 10 - The Homecoming

It seemed like forever before we finally heard the words that "you can go home next week Agent Percy." The social worker had met with Percy about where she wanted to go. Percy asked in a frighten voice "Chris doesn't want me to come home with him?" "No Agent Percy that's not what I am saying. This is standard practice for me to ask a patient where they want to go when they leave our care." "Of course I want to go with him and my baby. He told me he bought Liam a house and I'm Liam's mother." "Alright then. I will make a home visit with the physical therapist and we'll see if the home is feasible and what equipment will be needed.

The therapist acted like he was dealing with an amateur. I always assumed that Sonja would come home and live with us. I just didn't know when I bought the house if she would come home as my lady or just the mother of my child. I had a fully accessible bath with a roll in shower added before we moved in. I wasn't going to put my mom out later on and figured that if she stayed with us after Sonja was back to being Sonja that she would enjoy the big bedroom and bath.

The vendor came in two days later and installed the hospital bed and put in hand rails around the toilet. There was a stool in the shower and they adjusted the water so it would go on her body as she sat down. "No, lower" I told them about the water flow. "Percy is as short as a munchkin" which made the whole crew burst out in laughter. They left a wheel chair, walker and weight machine as well.

Sonja was glad to be away from all those people. The house was full of flowers when she got there. Liam was the funniest. He would run into her room, then come back to me or grandma and point encouragingly for us to come and greet Sonja again. It took him a couple of days to realize that she was staying.

I came home for a late lunch one day and found them asleep together her in bed. Momma said that's an everyday thing now. "No problem getting him to take his afternoon nap now. He goes in to put his mother to bed every day." She had taped him one day patting Sonja on the chest like we pat him on the back, putting her to sleep. It was so cute.