Chapter 14 - The Wedding

I thought it would nice for Sonja to get totally away from people for a while so we went back to Alabama to momma's house on the creek. Cade and I had spent many a day on the island out in the middle of it. It was there that I first told Cade about Savannah and where momma and I talked about why I finally put the brakes on chasing Sonja. Sonja saw me try to sneak a package into the closet. "What's that Country Mouse?" "A special gift for a special day. Don't be so nosey." I replied.

We spent quite a bit of time driving around the country side often stopping to say 'hey' to friends of my parents who were still alive. I had forgotten how much I loved pecans and peaches that came right off the tree. I tried to teach Sonja how to golf to no avail. She wasn't even very good at miniature golf. "Golf takes too long" she complained.

The next day I wanted to back to the links so I enticed her with a spa day which she readily agreed upon. The broken leg healed up physically okay, but arthritis set in. Momma laugh when it became apparent that Sonja's bones told us that rain was coming long before we saw a drop of it.

This time of the year you never know what the weather would be. One evening the weather forecast had predicted a possible storm. About eight o'clock the wind picked up and we moved inside. I called Sonja into the bedroom and said "stand right there." I gave her the box that I had tried to hide and she opened it gleefully. Inside she found a light pink see thru night gown with a matching robe and a pair of almost nothing there underwear for me. "Put 'em on" I barked. Sonja gave me the strangest look. "Put 'em on and I'll be back in a minute" I say as I snatch the trunks out her hand.

As I come back into the room with the barely there trunks on Sonja says "LaSalle you never cease to amaze me, what's this all about?" "Go stand over there by the window I have a dream to finish." With doubt in her face, she went. Suddenly a gust of wind blew through the partially opened window and caught her gown blowing it up past her face. As she pulled it down laughing, I motioned with one finger for her to come to me on the bed. "Now my lady help me finish my dream."

The next morning I got up to fix us breakfast. "Now sweetie since you were so accommodating last night I have another request." "Why don't we get down to it and get our wedding planned!!!"

We held the wedding at the Le Museé de FPC. We ended up having the rehearsal dinner there as well allowing our out of town guest the opportunity to tour the museum on Friday before the Saturday morning wedding.

We debated on having Liam in the wedding or not and made the wise choice not to. In spite of momma making sure that he stayed on his regular schedule, he had a meltdown as we took the official photos and Ms. Cheryl had to take him into the building to cool down and get some water into him.

Sonja's dress was a pale peach topped off with a silk pill box with blusher hat. Pride and Cade stood up with me while Sonja's sisters stood by her. Unbeknownst to me, Sonja had recorded the song 'Wind Beneath My Wings' as a tribute to me. I tried not to cry to no avail thinking about the ups and downs since the first day we meet. Searching for Sonja after Baitfish shot her and her time in captivity were the worse days of my life. Knowing I was on her mind while she was being held in that hell hole had always touched my heart.

"Sonja, they say that three times is a charm. And with this ring I also am giving you this charm bracelet. You entered into my life at three different times. I didn't realize that each time I was given an opportunity to love you in a different way. First as a friend and co-worker, then as a man and now as a companion and husband. Besides your love, you have given me the most precious thing I could ever ask for, my son Liam. You truly are the most bravest and strongest person that I have ever met in my life. I am honored that you have agreed to marry me and live out the rest of my days with me as my wife."

"Chris. I look across to you and I see Prince Charming. You will never know what having you in my life has meant. During the dark days, I dreamed of returning to your loving arms. I rejoice that I have found a man who looked past the scars of my life and most recently the physical scars that I now carry, to find someone that he could love. I look forward to learning and growing with you and raising our son to be a man as kind and as loving as his father."

Next we say our vows and exchange rings.

The minister pronounces us as Mr. and Mrs. Christopher LaSalle. I see C.J. walk up and place the broom down in front of us. I take my new bride's arm and we jump the broom together at everyone's delight.

Loretta had suggested that we have a 'pull cake' which was a big hit. Sonja had never heard of it before but was happy to have one after learning about its meaning. The reception was festive and full of New Orleans music.

About 90 minutes in we invited King, Rita, Tammy and Ms. Cheryl to join us to drive up to the Southeast Louisiana Veteran Cemetery. Odd one might say on ones wedding day, but Sonja wanted to leave her bouquet at the tomb of an unknown service member honoring the Navy Seals who had rescued her and brought her home to us. I don't think that I had ever seen King cry, but I saw him and Rita walking back to the limo with Ms. Cheryl between them with all three of them wiping away tears.

Upon our return we sought to locate our son and took him and momma with us while leaving the rest of our guest at reception to dance the night away.

I had already packed the car and we took off for The Cumberland Falls the next morning.