Chapter 23 ◆◆ Myself

Chapter 23- Myself

Flashback

A mother was her daughters first friend.. nevermind a sister. It was the woman who gave birth to you that was unconditionally there. She wiped your tears, held your hand, kissed your scratches and bruises and made everything better.

For a long time she was my only friend.

We moved around so much that I never had a true one. No one wanted to befriend the new girl and by the time the class had warmed up to me? We were on to the next town and the cycle continued.

I ate lunch alone, I played alone and a lot of times it felt like no one even knew I was there.

It hurt more than I'd ever admit to my mother because I knew she was doing the best she could.

She provided the best she could. She loved me the best way she knew how, and more than I ever knew she protected me like her life depended on it.

So every night when she cried herself to sleep, I woke up like it was myself crying. She'd always try to hide her sorrow but because I came from her, I felt it all.

Even when she was smiling, it didn't quiet reach her eyes. The only time I knew she was truly happy was when I did something to make her proud then she'd smile and her eyes would finally light up. But eventually they would fade back to black.

Tonight, her façade slipped and before I closed my eyes to rest I'd hear her. She was praying, more like begging and pleading to God.

Her knees rested on the floor, her elbows laying on the surface of the bed, tears rolled down her face faster than I'd ever seen. Her eyes were closed but the flow of her tears didn't slow or stop.

She'd be embarrassed if she knew I saw her.

That's why she cried when she thought I was asleep.

Still I could be there for her, right outside in the hall way. I sat on my knees, quietly wanting to comfort my mother but couldn't. I wanted to cry to but I couldn't do it silently so I pulled my knees to my chest, closed my eyes and prayed with her.

"God pleaseee"

"I know you know what's best for me, I know I ain't never been perfect. I deserve whatever happens to me but her?? She doesn't deserve this life."

"She deserves better.. That little girl deserves a better me.. A stable life and more than anything she deserves to never have to meet him."

"I been running, Jesus. For years we've been running and every time I think we're safe he finds us.. Lord please, this time don't let him find us"

"I'm tired but I'll do anything to keep her from him and if he finds me lord. Please don't let him find her.. she's the only good thing that I have ever done."

"And although I'm a sinner and he's the devil himself.. she came straight from you. Her heart is so pure and I've shielded her too much that she knows no evil in this world."

"I named her Angel because that's what she is. An angel. When she came into this world she saved me.. she brought me closer to you and more anything she gave me the strength to leave and never look back."

"I think he's found us again. First thing tomorrow we'll be gone but I don't even know where to run to anymore.."

"Save us Lord, please because I don't know if we can out run him anymore"